boolean problems

(ak) #1

Does anyone else have the same problems I have with booleans. I can take the same two objects, perform the same boolean operation five different times and get five different results. This very frustrating. This can be a very useful tool when working properly, I just can’t get consistant results.

(phlip) #2

Blender’s booleans are bad. It is an unfortunate fact of life.

What are you trying to model in particular? There’s often an alterative modelling style that will solve the problem so that booleans aren’t necessary…

(ak) #3

I,m working on my own design of a pod racer. I was going to use a boolean to create the opening of the cooling vent intakes. Instead I use the knife tool to create the hole and then built a cover grill.

(Trident) #4

What version do you use? If it is 2.4 alpha2 then it might be fixable bug in new booleans…

(ReeVee) #5

Yes try the 2.4 alpha2 booleans they work much better and produce much cleaner meshs.

(ak) #6

I,m still using 2.37. Guess I should move up to 2.4.

(phlip) #7

Are you sure? It seems to me the meshes are as ugly as always, the boolean is just moved to rendertime…

(Trident) #8

Are you sure? It seems to me the meshes are as ugly as always, the boolean is just moved to rendertime…[/quote]
No, they are different in a2. Try union of monkey and cube in a1 and a2 and see that new topology is several times simplier. That said, I belive that any boolean implementation for meshes to date does not produce nice all-q topology.