Boolean thru the counter top and top drawer...the sink was the boolean object

I had to use the weighted normals modifier to get rid of the shading artifacts in the top of the counter top. But I am left with shading artifacts in the front of the counter edge and the side of the drawer front. I have never really used vertex groups but I chose the front edge vertices and chamfer vertices hit select and applied them to a group. I then added another weighted normals modifier and selected the vertex group but the problem does not appear to be solved on the counter edge. I have not tried the drawer edge yet. Can I adjust things so these shading artifacts go away? Thanks

For the counter edge I choose shade flat…the chamfer was not included…and turned off autosmooth. I made vertex groups for all problem areas shaded flat and turned off autosmooth. Hopefully it will render out okay. I did not bother to fix the shading artifacts on the panel on the right hand side of the dishwasher.

When you boolean out for a kitchen sink do not use the sink. Use a cube with rounded corners. Too much geometry. Thanks

1 Like

Did you try the Data Transfer modifier using the normals of a copy of the original worktop before it was cut?

1 Like

Tarby I will give that a try next time. Can you tell me the steps I need to take to do that? Thanks

I’m not saying it’ll do what you need, but here’s the Blender manual page. https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/modifiers/modify/data_transfer.html

1 Like

Also this https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/98156/copying-vertex-normals

1 Like

Tarby thank you very much for the great links you sent me. I will give it a try.

You should not need any boolean, expand relevant cabinet parameters tab, and simply choose “Countertop hole” instead of “Countertop” in parameters. You’ll then be able to set hole Width and Length.
Also pay attention at the door type for upper door, set door type as “Board only” so you’ll not get drawer through your sink.

1 Like

Thanks stephen. Great features of Archipack.