Boolean

Is there anyway to get a clean boolean operation where the resulting object is still with good condition so I can continue modeling it?

AFAIK, No :frowning:

You can have access to blender’s boolean functions by selecting the two Meshes you want to apply to and then press the W key…

You get a menu and you select from the list the desired boolean operation to be performed…

Blender’s boolean still have a long way to go and things are going to improve with the next releases (hopefully…)

Some times the result is a little bit, let’s say “strange”… You get a bunch of weird triangles which make your life a little bit more difficult…

If you get weird or undesired effects, just try to move your objects a little bit or perhaps change their angle slightly…

Some times this solves all the problems…

I hope I have helped you a bit…

Spyros.

Well, it is the W shortcut that I was talking about :).
Since I am using it for quite sometime but with no satisfied result.

well, I would change this to … make your life much more difficult … :smiley:

You certain do, all the time. Thanx for all your effort people. Everyday I learn something new.

Evry,

you could try this method which I find can help alot with Booleans.

Subdivide the surface of the mesh you want to perform the Boolean on, not all of the mesh, but to conserve vertexes, localise the area to just larger than the Boolean object.

I found this helps if you have a large difference in vertex numbers in both meshes used for the Boolean. For example if you have a Plane with 4 verts and the sphere you want to use for the Boolean op has 200, subdivide the plane a few times to equal up the number of matching verts.

This is also good if you want to use subsurf after the Boolean op.

Hope this helps, (and makes sense)

Sonix.

I think it does make sense %|
I will try that.
thanx Sonixsculpt.

You are welcome, let me know how you got on.

Sonix.

I went through the old blender site… apparently, you need to make sure, all the normals are on the outside. the boolean operation is designed for closed meshes too… just keep that in mind

I’m not very sure (cause actually I don’t use booleans too often lately…) but I think that the normals don’t have to do with Evry’s problem…

I think what you say here has to do with the fact that after the boolean operation, the normals sometimes get screwd up and your new Mesh appears “black”… In any case if you simply recalculate normals outside (Ctrl+N in edit mode…) or flip the normals, the problem should be solved…

But I’m not sure about that cause as I said I haven’t used booleans recently so I may not remember well…

I think sonixsculpt’s approach is very good… :smiley: