/! \Boring auto-analysis ahead/!\ The Guru Crisis...

(9) #1

Hi guys
Since a few days, I got a strange problem. With this post, I’m at the doors of guruness. And this plus other things made me think. Am I really a guru? I mean here in Elysiun, the ranks show how long you’ve been hanging around, how much you are expected to know the whole stuff. There is also perhaps a constant mix (sometimes true, sometimes false) between Forum (whatever) and BLENDER (whatever). We have tendancies to listen differently to a newbie than to a monkey (quite wrongly sometimes!!)
Beeing a guru means at last beeing quite familiar with the forum, it’s denizen’s, etc… But I also think highing in ranks means to be able to share something about blender, contribute more to the community.
And what can I share, what can I teach? My blender skills are far away from any gurudom! To this point my contributions to this community have been silly (ugly) trophies for a WEC and a couple of translations for the French Blender Users…
What made me feel that way? A coupla days ago, I read a thread which turned around “who’s your favourite Blenderhead” or so. And said “good Blenderheads” came and sayed who they think were the bests, and so on. So when In half an hour you’ve hiked to the websites of Blengine, [email protected], Shige a a few more, you get two feelings (some of you are familiar with it, perhaps all of us):
-depression and discouragement: you measure the path you have to reach comparable skills. Worst, you wonder if you ever will be able to reach only honorably comparable skills.
-energy and motivation: you find out that you were right to choose CGI as passion and hobby, that one day all those things dwelling in your mind will finally materialize!
The fact that I was about to become guru, in a quite silly manner, made me think about all that. It is now the moment to choose to really be a Blenderhead or not, isn’t it? I have this shortcoming/quality of beeing a dilletante. I do a bit of 2d, a bit of web design, a bit of python, a bit of blender, a bit of… So never be really good at any of them. Plus, it serves as excuse for not making progress, not really working “I have no time, I make too much things bla bla bla”
But I’ve seen in a recent thread people with 50 kids, 112 pets, 3 or 5 wifes and a couple of jobs blending good and blending hours a day. So time is only an excuse, not a good reason.
Why do I fire Blender to start a project and never finish it? Why do not I even start blender once in a week, or a couple of weeks!!!
The fear of the path to achieve, the vision of how indigent I am compared to what I want to achieve. 90% of my projects remain unfinished, because I think I’m not able to. But thinking like this, I never will !!!
What will I do? Disappear from Elysiun, blend like hell for a few months, a few years, and then come back to share what I learned (and pretend I’ve always been good)? Or deciding that I will only post in WIP and FW by now (drastic)? Making a new profile to not beeing a guru anymore (easy)? Post less silly posts like this one and more work (realist)? Seeing mostly great jobs in those forums holds you from posting you own, not so great, schoolwork-like creations. But I think one role of the community is to get advise from the skilled. I know that no special skill is expected from any rank, but I expect from myself, that is the most important.
I have decisions to make and energy to give if I want to become what I want: a good CG artist. There is no reason I couldn’t.
End of the auto-analysis, thanks to those who read it till the end.

Hughes

(dreamsgate) #2

ah don’t take it so hard, I went through the same thing when I reached “guru”. But I work hard, learn new things and have discovered with all the newbies showing up, that I actually know quite a bit and I can help them. My projects get better with everyone I do (with the exception of that damn game engine, I may never get the hang of that). Relax, blend and share what you know, I bet it’s more than you think.

(valarking) #3

I know how you feel. :wink:
Between helping out with a 2 year old sister, practicing piano about 2.5 to 4 hours a day, diviong deeper into C++ (algorithms, yay!), spending time with my family, friends, hanging out here, I don’t have a whole lot of time to be spending Blending. I bet there hasn’t been a WIP of mine here in months. Mostly because I set my goals too high and fizzle out before I reah them (see CubeFan Syndrome on a smaller scale). If you want to have fun in Blender, do what I did a year(?) ago, make a short 1 minute short in Blender, with bad to mediocre quality in characters, so that you don’t spend forever on each scene and get tired out. But have fun with camera angles and lighting and such. It’s quite fun, I never finished mine, I think it’s still online.
/me looks for it…
http://bellsouthpwp.net/v/k/vkgfx/ep1.avi 5.7 MB
http://bellsouthpwp.net/v/k/vkgfx/ep2.avi 0.7 MB
Don’t know if those are the final ones. Never thought I’d dust those off and bring them out again. :wink:

(basse) #4

hmm… I have always protested against these ratings on the forums. they tell you nothing… except that you have spent some time here… contributing comes automaticly… if somebody asks for help, people who know the answer, tell him. if someobody asks for comment and critics on a pic made, people contribute by telling how to make it better… or what they think of it.

and having a really low post count on Elysiun, just means, you actually have a life, instead of just sitting in front of the tube, twisting vertices around in blender. … hmm, or of course, it could mean you are always twisting vertices around, not leaving the house, not answering the phone, and NOT posting to Elysiun… hmm…

well, anyways, my point is, forget about it. I know your name, for me you are one of the monkeys in the forum :slight_smile:

.b

(BgDM) #5

Ditto to what basse just said. The title means nothing.

I know of a few newbies here that could teach some of us monkeys a thing or two when it comes to modelling, etc. So don’t sweat it. Just keep on doing what you feel comfortable with.

BgDM

(theeth) #6

and some monkeys know less than a lot of forum newbies.

Martin

(valarking) #7

/me pushes down theeth’s finger that’s pointing to him for some reason…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(theeth) #8

/me pushes down theeth’s finger that’s pointing to him for some reason…

;P[/quote]

ah… come on, I’m not pointing to anyone here

cough cough

Martin

(haunt_house) #9

becoming a blendermaster is a process, not a decision. So do no decide, just DO.

If you have questions regarding blender or are interested in team work, drop me a PM

Nobody said, you have to do everything alone. And those who do are jackasses.

HH

(Timonides) #10

You are right about one thing…

Titles don’t mean anything!!! I’m a forum Monkey and all I got was a stupid image, that I submited in a contest and which I did it under time pressure… It was really crappy!!! I even forgot to press the SetSmooth button!!! I didn’t win that contest, but that wasn’t my intention, I just did it for the fun and for that reason I really enjoyed doing it…

Do yourself a favor… Do not waste your time with selfanalysis that you don’t deserve and certainly doesn’t reflect the real you… You must not compare yourself with what others do… You don’t have to be perfect… Perfectionism should be a tool, to help us become better, not an ultimate goal… Above all, none is perfect… We all have our strong points along with our weaknesses!!!

Start your projects and work for the fun of it… You will realize that as time passes your creations will seem better and better… In fact you’ll find that they always were good… You just keep on comparing your work with other people’s works… And this is bad!!!

Spyros.

(Schlops) #11

Ahh, come on! Being a Forum-Guru only means that you know how to pronounce Kib_Tph and theeth. :wink:
And now get post no. 100, you are still at 99.

(Timonides) #12

I can spell S68 really easy!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Can I become a Moderator now??? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

(Just not to get misunderstood… I’m kidding here just to “lighten” things up :wink: …)

hey 9!!! Those forum title really don’t mean anything!!! They are meant to be a game, just to raise the interest in the forum a bit more…

Being a Monkey, or a Guru or whatever doesn’t reflect your true status and abillities…

Many “newbies” are better than me!!! Just don’t take ti to seriously and follow my advise above… o.k.???

Ohh and always take care of yourself… right??? :wink:

bye…

Spyros.

(theeth) #13

although it’s kinda cool to have Super in your title :stuck_out_tongue:

Martin

(Timonides) #14

I don’t know why, but for some mysterious reason… I knew you were gonna say that, when I posted, Theeth… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Spyros.

(valarking) #15

I don’t know why, but for some mysterious reason… I knew you were gonna say that, when I posted, Theeth… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Spyros.[/quote]

Forum Monkey ESP.

(Timonides) #16

Didn’t know we have such abilities!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ohh man that’s exciting… People beware!!! You can no longer hide!!!

We can read your minds… 8)

( :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: )

Spyros.

(Schlops) #17

Hah! You got it! You can spell S68 really easy. But how do you pronounce it? Ess-sixty-eight ? SSixty-Eight? Ess-Six-Eight? SSix-Eight? Ess-sei-otto? “It’s written S-6-8 put pronounced Stefano”? If you know that, you will be called “God of Ton” :wink:

To come back to the original subject: You can get a high post-count by posting lots of questions,too. And good questions are as important as good answers.

(Timonides) #18

Actually I’m a Greek so I pronounce it Sigma-exinda-Okto!!! :wink:

But I have a better word that describes everybody here…

F-i-l-o-s!!!

If you feel that you can pronounce it (when addressing to me…) Then you don’t need a high post count to be my friend!!! :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Spyros.

(valarking) #19

Filos means friend, not mortal enemy, right? RIGHT?
:o

;);):wink:

(Timonides) #20

Well, it doesn’t mean “mortal enemy”, that’s for sure!!! :wink:

Spyros.