Boundary aligned remesh

Where can I find the latest version? Click on the github it said 17 months ago.

I tried it in Blender 2.83. And I had to wait a second of three before it showed up in the preferences.
I’ve seen also a status message (status bar) that module is loaded. What do you see there?
And what do you see in the system console? (Window > Toggle System console, at the bottom).

To download the .py file, I opened the raw view in Chrome, and then save as a .py file.
Once ok, I find the addon in Object mode and a right click on object (text works well). I set the edge length for text around 0.034

I just tried that 17 month old version and works fine in 2.83

yeah, it seems like an weird bug it muat at least print a mesaage to the console.

I have run Blender an administrator.
It’s ok!

1 Like

Thanks for this add-on.
I was looking for a way to remesh a mesh extracted from a sculpted high poly model.

There seemed to be room for improvement, so I updated it for the purpose of learning programming.
I changed it quite a bit, so I divided the details into another thread.

6 Likes

Woah, thats nice, good work!

2 Likes

Hello Jean -

I find Boundary Aligned Remesh to be extremely useful and I have been using regularly for a while now.

Would it be possible to make it work directly from within Edit mode, from a currently selected ngon ? This would make for a great uninterrupted workflow.

Also it would be great to have the resulting patch be automatically shrinkwrapped to the surface of objects below it if any …

As you can probably tell I am using it to resurface models. At this time my workflow consists of creating the outline of the desired patch, make a ngon out ouf it, separate that ngon, run BAR on it, shrinkwrap the result to the surface of my reference mesh, apply the shrinkwrap, and merge back this patch into my work mesh.

It is actually a rather fast and flexible workflow already, but merely being able to run the tool from edit mode would help greatly.

But anyways - thank you for a great, useful tool !

Thats actually a nice idea.

I’m currently updating my softwrap addon but once I’m finished, I think I’m going to remake BAR (Thats a cool acroynim haha) to add your feature request.

I’m not sure why but now I want to give it a extended name now. Something like… “Field-oriented-organized-boundary-aligned-remesh” or something so I can call it the FOO-BAR addon lol

5 Likes

Hehe FOOBAR would be very fitting indeed :smiley: Glad to hear that the suggestions make sense !

FWIW here is some footage for context : from an edge boundary, to an ngon, to a separeted mesh, to boundary aligned remesh, to shrinkwrap ; and then merged back in.

Also I’ve noticed that there is a suggestion on the Github page for automatic length detection before remesh. I think this is a valid remark as I’ve quite often found myself stuck because of the small default distance, which can cause very long calcutions if it happens to be one or more orders of magnitude smaller than desired. I’ve adressed the issue on my end by putting a different default distance directly in the code, but having it be about 1/10th or so of the detected size of the bounding box of the selected object (or ngon selection) would be a great all-around solution, I believe.

4 Likes

@Jeacom - I want to ask a question but begin with a massive thanks for your BAR add on. This exceptional tool has allowed me to create an SVG to Mesh workflow to create 3D meshes for use in any gaming engine. Currently, we are utilizing it to build golf courses.

I have 2 small issues that keep this from being an absolutely perfect solution. They may not be solvable and manual clean up is fine but I thought I might ask.

#1 - occasionally, on a smaller, round object BAR will not create an edge from the nearest vertices but use a farther point and then the edge will cross over the boundary of the shape. Do you have a guess why this might occur with BAR? As these meshes are on meters scale, usually, I am running edge length around 0.9 and iterations 30.

Images show the shapes and resulting mesh with troublesome edges. Image on the right shows what I would hope for the result.

#2 - this is the issue I would guess may not be solvable. Occasionally, BAR will create an aberrant face - it is usually a single vertice and 2 edges. Happens more often on larger meshes. Easy to find because the normals will create odd shading in Blender. It will consistently do it on the same mesh.

Any help is appreciated. Once again, thanks for this simple, yet incredibly powerful add on.

2 Likes

Hi there!

#1 happens because of a quirk in the algorithm, the vertices get pulled towards the most edges and end up getting merged in strange ways, unfortunately thats just how it is, it happens less often if you increase the resolution to match the boundary.

But I maybe I can think of ways to deal with #2 I’ll do some tests to see if I come up with something to fix it.

5 Likes

Hi Jeacom, excellent work!! This is a great addon. Any chance this can be added to your addon:

Maybe from a texture loaded to material on a mesh? rather than a texture on an image plane? Edge loops are created where the colors meet/form a boundary with each other.

3 Likes

@Jeacom -

I wanted to let you know that you were correct on resolving my issue #2 above. I made a change to your code and that issue of extraneous vertices and edges has resolved. In line 74 - I changed the “5” to a “6”. I wonder if you intended this anyhow and want less than or equal to 5 based on your comment. Regardless, changing that number to a 6 has solved the issues for me. I run Triangles though instead of Quads. Not sure if this negatively impacts the Quads routine.

3 Likes

Hi,
On GitHub there is something like “workaround for edit mode glitch”, but I can’t find any explanation. I can see there was a discussion on this forum abour BAR working in Edit Mode, but is it a thing already?
I downloaded the latest version, but it only works in Object Mode.