Box Select X-Ray

That’s just… perfect, thank you so much! This addon is so amazing.

I did find some issues:

Facedots
Previously, facedots were disabled when Select All Edges & Faces were checked, this is no longer the case, as it seems.

Custom keymap
The following pertains specifically to the way I use this tool and this is more in line with selection in 3ds Max. What I have done is, I assigned the tools themselves with a shortcut so they are persistent and active until I switch tools.

I have then assigned specific functionality to holding the modifier keys during box/lasso selection:
Ctrl = Extend, Shift = Intersect, Alt = Subtract, None (just tweak) = Set
Like so:

So my question here is: would it be possible to configure this selection method directly from the Addon section in the preferences so updating the addon does not overwrite my custom settings? This could be either through additional alternate modes or by configuring the 3D View tools directly. The latter produces more reliable results, whereas it would also be the easiest to configure. I think it may also help if to reduce clutter. Rather than alternate modes for every keymap entry, you could set this from a global preference setting, per selection mode:

1. Set =
  2. Extend =
  3. Subtract =
  4. Intersect =
  5. Difference =
    For circle select, 4 and 5 shouldn’t create a keymap entry, because Blender crashes.
    Input keys: (default/ ctrl/ shift/ alt/ ctrl + shift/ ctrl + alt/ shift + alt)
    E: Circle select should have extend on by default with just a mousepress.

Here’s my keymap, in case that helps to explain my configuration, mind you it is heavily customised.
Keymap-Xray-selection_2.1.4.py (335.8 KB)
Keymap-Xray-selection_3.0.0.py (368.6 KB)

Keymap cleanup
Machin3tools has toggles to enable/disable keymap items so it does not populate the keymap with disabled functions. That complicates editing the keymap and search by hotkey if the hotkeys are used twice. These toggles could then be applied per group of keymap entries (see: Machin3tools settings. Perhaps something like that could help keep the keymap clean, since I am unable to delete the redundant entries in version 3.0.0 (unlike the previous version).

E: Fixed by removing the addon and reinstall

There is a glitch in the interface where the checked buttons do not show up as being blue, this also applies to the select through button in the interface.

v 3.0.1

• Fixed disabling hiding modifiers
2 Likes

How can I reproduce it?

So my question here is: would it be possible to configure this selection method directly from the Addon section in the preferences so updating the addon does not overwrite my custom settings?

These toggles could then be applied per group of keymap entries (see: Machin3tools settings. Perhaps something like that could help keep the keymap clean

I’ll try to implement it.

1 Like

v 3.1.0

• Configuration for tools selection mode (Set, Extend, Subtract etc.) modifiers keys in the addon preferences Advanced Keymap tab
  • Header buttons to disable/enable addon preinstalled shortcuts. Disabled shortcuts won’t clutter the blender keymap

11 Likes

Will be really cool to have this addon built in blender or to have such additional functionality with the existing selecting possibilities what blender has.

Thanks a lot, this implementation is much nicer and really takes away the hassle of setting things up manually!

In object mode, circle selection does not seem to adhere to the preference settings. I am not sure whether this is also the case with a clean install, but for me it didn’t propagate Alt > subtract, neither for my custom keymap, nor for Blender’s default, so I re-enabled it manually. Then again, I’ve been messing with these settings way too much to confirm default behaviour :innocent:

For the “Tools Selection Mode Modifier Keys” section, it may be worthwhile to add circle selection input seperately, because now it may default to set, whereas extend is more useful in most cases.

With the select edges & faces buttons enabled in the addon preferences, open any of the X-ray selection tools from the tool icons in Edit mode and you’ll still see the facedots displayed.

Overall I really appreciate the effort put into the plugin and its customisability is unmatched!

Can it somehow select elements faced to camera only with backface culling turned on?

Excellent addon, this is how the default selection tools should work. Flipping back and forth between Xray and Solid is pretty annoying.

Now If there is away to hide back facing Wireframe for retopology. I don’t understand why this doesn’t happen by default when you turn on back face culling.

ok I tried to add a pass through on middle mouse. not possible. I imagine this is linked to a raycast

1 Like

I have not used this add-on but curious to see if there is a performance penalty with high resolution complex scenes when using this instead of the default selection methods.

Yes, it have, if “Select All Faces” or “Select All Edges” is turned on

1 Like

Ahh thank you, never thought of double click, this will make it even easier now.

1 Like

can you add more customizable hotkey on toggle selection holding and pressing
currently it has modifier keys only shift ctrl and alt

how about letters like A to Z
during marquee selection i want to press X to toggle XRAY

thank you for this addon i updated from version 2 to 3 and performance was improve vastly

edit : i figure it out . found it on Advanced Keymap