Box Select X-Ray

Crimo,

Yes 2.0.14 on Win 8.1 installed and activated just FINE and work’s. Thanks so much.

@Cirno Awesome! You made my day. Thank you so much for the fast changes and you great support.

I think I may have found an error? I’m using the 2.83 LTS release.

As I understand it, normally if we drag select selection A, then drag select selection B, A will be replaced with B. If we want to add B to A, there’s another function and hotkeys for that.

However, when hiding faces, after we unhide them the first time and we drag select, the selection is being added to the previous selection. There is no reason in theory why this should happen. Gif showing this behaviour:

And while I’m at it posting in this thread, I’ll take the opportunity to mention again how eager I would be to select things without the visual toggle of XRay while I drag select. Though it’s a neat automatic feature, to be given the option to turn it off would be great :slight_smile:

1 Like

(Blender 2.83 LTS release) Another thing I found:

Selecting edges when the All Edges checkbox is ticked has problems in its behaviour. AFAIK it should only select ALL edges that are within the selection box, no matter how much of their length is covered by the selection box…

…But iInstead, with some shapes it seems to be selecting edges that are not within the box!
edgeSelection

Thankfully I cannot see this problem occuring in vert or face mode. I am attaching the obj from the GIF to this post.
obj.obj (85.9 KB)

Has anyone managed to replace the regular box select with this? if so I’d love to hear how. I’m quite new to blender and still trying to wrap my head around the complicated keymap.

I use both. Actually I have 3 methods hotkeyed…haha. But I use the default box select yet, if i DONT want to select through/backfaces, then use this addon to grab everything/grab faces even if not on their exact centers in Xray. I don’t think this is a 100% replacement for me, for the default one, because like I said, I don’t want to ALWAYS select through/see through. Maybe you can disable the see through in the addon options, but then might as well use the original one then maybe… I’d have to look more into it though.

I prefer Lasso select, so I’ve bound it to Right Mouse and Ctrl + Right Mouse. That way Left Mouse is regular Lasso selection, and Right is X-ray. You’ll need to disable any other Right Mouse hotkeys, like the Context Menus for example.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate we all have different approaches. Personally I’m coming from using Maya for years and Max for years before that and it’s just hard-wired into my brain at this point that you’re always selecting everything unless you’ve set an option to disable that. Which means 99.99% of the time I have back face masking off. So I’d really like to be able to have it on all the time if possible :slight_smile: