BPPlayer developement and dicussion.

Edit: This thread is a little old. Most of the general discussion about the BPPlayer is done here.

Original Post:

As some may already know, the BPPlayer is an external player for the Blender Game Engine. It tries to expand the flexibility of standalone blender games.

Some of the features of the BPPlayer is that it decreases the amount of overhead used which can speed up blender games. One of it’s goals is to efficiently protect games made with blender. The BPPlayer can do everything the normal BlenderPlayer can do, which includes linking files and pygame. It can also hide the console window (on Windows machines) to make blender games look more “natural”. Releases are planed for Windows and Linux, and eventually, Mac. Cross platform will be supported in the future.

If you can think of an extra feature to add or just want to comment, fell free to do so.

I am really looking forward to BPPlayer :). Console hiding will be a good feature.

I was just interested: if Blender 2.46 will release, does it mean for you to modify the current BPPlayer to fit new version of Blender?

I wish you luck.

I was just interested: if Blender 2.46 will release, does it mean for you to modify the current BPPlayer to fit new version of Blender?
The BPPlayer can run any blender version - including 2.46. The only thing that changes between blender versions is the blenderplayer.dll.

So decreased overhead will mean faster Blender games, just wondering, how much FPS increase would be expected? If it’s significant it would really be worth getting.

Just wondering, do you have interest in optimizing the BGE source code as well? Ben could use the help.

So decreased overhead will mean faster Blender games, just wondering, how much FPS increase would be expected? If it’s significant it would really be worth getting.
Decreasing the overhead allows faster games, yes. The amount of speedup depends on the game and the computer. If your game has 98% leftover overhead, then some of the extra overhead can be used to speed up the game. However, if your game only has 15% overhead left over, it will do almost nothing to speed up the game.

Just wondering, do you have interest in optimizing the BGE source code as well? Ben could use the help.
Yea, but I was having some linking errors (mostly Linking error 2019) with my compiler, so I can’t properly compile blender’s source yet.

C-106 Delta, why not get in touch with Ben about your compiling problems? You and Ben can work together to optimize things.

If the Mac version works well, that would be great. The current (last I knew) version of Blender won’t export runtimes for intel macs, and the PowerPC emulation caused frequent crashes.

Will this player also allow games to be released without protection?

If the Mac version works well, that would be great. The current (last I knew) version of Blender won’t export runtimes for intel macs, and the PowerPC emulation caused frequent crashes.
The blenderplayer.dll is the data that the BPPlayer uses to run the game. Normally, this data is based from the BlenderPlayer, so without a blenderplayer it wouldn’t really work…

However, you could stream data to a protected version of blender itself in memory. That would work. Basically, you could turn blender itself into a standalone file!!! But there are a few disadvantages if you stream data to blender:

• First, it looks a little weird in a standalone.
  • Second, you can’t resize the window.
  • Third, it waste extra resources.

The advantages, though, would be:

• A nice standalone, protected game for Mac users
  • Can use newer blender versions on Mac
  • Can use the “import Blender” scripts for standalone games.

The short and simple answer would be yes, but I would only do this for Mac computers.

Will this player also allow games to be released without protection?
I didn’t think about it… but yea, it could.

What I find ironic is that the same week I announce the BPPlayer, this happens.

Hi

Could you please explain how BPPlayer works and maybe provide some sourcecode?
I can’t understand exactly what it does and how it does it.

Disabling the console is really easy. You just have to rebuild blenderplayer with the following command line parameters for the Linker:
/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /ENTRY:mainCRTStartup

As far as I understand, this player compiles .blend files in its own way, so they can be read only by BPPlayer.
This means that .blend will be coded in a format that allow users to publish locked versions of their work.
C-106 Delta ,I think it can be very usefull for developers who want to sell games, made with BGE.
Can you make some kind of random key generator, so that the end user to be able to start the game only if a correct key is entered. Or this must be done in the game it self?

Disabling the console is really easy. You just have to rebuild blenderplayer with the following command line parameters for the Linker:
/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /ENTRY:mainCRTStartup
hmm… thanks for the tip. The only problem is that I would like the console window to stay open until it fully loads the game the first time. Then once the game is started, the window is hidden.

I can’t understand exactly what it does and how it does it.
Haidme explained it pretty well. He said:

this player compiles .blend files in its own way, so they can be read only by BPPlayer.
This means that .blend will be coded in a format that allow users to publish locked versions of their work.

Can you make some kind of random key generator, so that the end user to be able to start the game only if a correct key is entered. Or this must be done in the game it self?
You can make a password based system, but it defeats the purpose. The user would need to know the password too.

The BPPlayer does everything by itself. For the end user, it is as easy as “double click”.

Sounds great, but the fact that it’s not integrated in Blender makes me wonder why. Is the letter “B” in BPPlayer stands not for Blender?

Is the letter “B” in BPPlayer stands not for Blender?

The letter “B” does stand for Blender.

the fact that it’s not integrated in Blender makes me wonder why.

I chose not to have it integrated into Blender’s source so it doesn’t conflict with other licenses (Primarily the GPL license).

Will you release this player for download soon?

Can I use my costom icon with it?

Will you release this player for download soon?
Yea, I’m just working on a few other things right now. I might release it before May 20 if I get a good deal of free time.

Can I use my custom icon with it?
It should work, but I haven’t tried it yet. There are a few different methods to replace the icon. Which one did you use?

none yet I was just wondering.

Great!
alienkid10, as long as there is *.exe file you can change its icon. There is alot of software right for this job, dont worry.

I going to bump the release of the BPPlayer until June 20, 2008. I have been very busy with life recently and I have a great deal of work this week. But at latest, I can finish it before June 20th.

Sorry of this inconvenience

• DeltaSpeeds