bridge - now extra ghostly!

I like the bridge, simple and profound.

If you are still trying to spice it up, I always try the following, in order:

1. Change the camera angle, perhaps looking up at a street light, down between the arches, just over the railing, etc, somewhere a person couldn’t stand.

2. Play with texture effects, sidewalk, street, lamps.

3. Add inanimate objects, papers in the wind, junk, particles (dust).

4. Add gibbering demons, liberally. :wink:

-h

wooooooooaaaaaahhh that hurts my eyes 8) aaahhh better i like it so far :smiley: , maby a gohst car?

Saw your image, could be something with the normals, try recalculating them and split the meshes not fastened to the main part different objects (like the arches and lamps)

Kansas: Did you read my earlier reply to you? you are STILL not being clear about WHAT is wrong with the image and the normals…so…
WHAT IS WRONG??? :<
save the image and circle it in bright red in Gimp if you have to just explain the problem. I honestly can’t see any glaring technical problems.
If it’s about everything being joined in one mesh, well, the blend texture has to applied to all objects the same. I had a lot of trouble getting Global mapping to do the job right, so I merged everything into a single mesh and used Orco instead. I was getting much better results in general.

Orco should work as it pretty much puts it over the entire model, this may sound stupid but it could be having that auto tex space box checked, try unchecking it.
Or try removing any vertex doubles from your object if youy haven’t already.

ARRRGGGGGGHHH!!! KANSAS: EXPLAIN WHAT IS WRONG! WHAT SHOULD ORCO FIX??? YOU STILL WON’T DESCRIBE WHAT YOU PERCIEVE TO BE THE PROBLEM!!!

I to am very confused with what kansas is trying to say?! :o

I’m trying to look through to the problem but you refuse to get what i’m meaning here. I could do some tests with makeshift objects to try recreating but blender’s busy rendering something that’s now been doing it for a few days now.

Okay never mind that, My bro. had to check his email and thought it wasd frozen and shut it down when it was almost complete. If you have anything to say about it.

SHUT UP AND KILL YOURSELF WITH A BLOWTORCH

I think you’re taking this a bit too hard. :Z
Relax dude 8)

It doesn’t matter after this announcement

I QUIT BLENDER

IT’S NOTHING BUT A STUPID 2 BIT SORRY EXCUSE FOR A MODELING PROGRAM AND AN EVEN POORER GAME ENGINE WHERE YOU NEED TO FAKE EVEN THE MOST PRIMITIVE THINGS, NOT TO MENTION THE WORLD’S WORST RENDER INTERFACE IN WHICH LONG RENDERS PRACTICALLY FREEZE YOUR COMP AND GIVES YOU NO CLUE ON WHAT IT’S ACTUALLY DOING. NOT ONLY THAT I’M QUITTING ALL MY ACTIVITIES AND MAY SWITCH TO A LIFE OF CRIME

SO GOOD BY AND GOOD RIDDANCE

Nee nor…Nee Nor…Nee Nor…Nee Nor. :o :o :o
well you done it now Gr8RedShark :smiley:

Done what? I wasn’t TRYING to chase him away.
Kansas: I’m sorry if I upset you in any way. I just found your posts a bit cryptic and frustrating, that’s all. Anyways, I think I’ll go with the mist effect, I think I liked it better. So now let’s drop it and prevent this post from turning into a flame war.

To get back on topic, I’ve made some changes, added spotlights to the streetlamps, and plan to have a render up later tonight.

Also, some user, with [email protected] sent me an email with a blend file attached with a solution to the “problem” (whatever it was), but they didn’t sign their name to it, and when I tried to reply, the home.nl mailserver told me I had an invalid spam address :x
…So whoever it was, here’s my reply to you:
“Hmm. ok it looks like you made your bridge fade vertically. The thing
is, I WANTED my bridge to fade HORIZONTALLY. so that the parts of the
bridge that are further away are more transparent.
And you didn’t explain what this was supposed to fix. WHAT WAS THE
PROBLEM?”

It’s not you it was something else, I was waiting for a render that was taking days and my bro. thought it was frozen and shut it down :x

You weren’t supposed to take that post seriously.

:wink:

Latest iteration:

http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs203217/images/bridge_streetlamps.png

The only thing that really bothers me about this is the banding effect on the bridge, near the camera. I forget the technical term… machband effect? oh well. I got bored of tweaking the lights, so I just posted this render. What do you guys think of the mist texture? keep it or lose it?

Someone (hazmat?) had a good idea of some swirling dirt, so I may try that too. would be a good chance to experiment with the new particle tools.

Sorry for posting late, but you may not need a texture to make the bridge fade from view like what you were trying to do. Since you have a black background and your view is straight down just use black fog.

I like. Can I make three suggestions?

1. the uniformity in grey color on the bridge causes the raised side walkway, next to the railing, to blend into the main bridge road section. You’re losing that detail.

Try adding a ‘moonlight’ light, pale blue, off-screen left, low in the ‘sky’, with shadows enabled. Cast a shadow through the railing so that it falls across the raised side, then out slightly onto the road area. The shadow will “break” at the edge of the raised section, differentiating it from the roadway. The shadow will also add to the perspective depth of the overall scene, and give the viewer some sense off what the railing is really shaped like (since its obscured by the cam angle)

1. Soften the edges of the spotlight halos on the street lamps; the halo looks almost solid with those sharp edges. Take out every other street light so you get pools of darkness between each, to add depth and mystery to the ghost bridge.

2. A silhouette of a human figure standing in the mist, waiting for you at the far end of the bridge, would definitely spook up the joint… :o

Good stuff, maybe I’ll screw up the courage to post my own thing-a-ma-bob someday soon…