Bright moon in the dark night

Having a problem in moonlighting with Yafray:
How do I make a bright moon against a dark sky, because with Yafray you can’t make a spotlight illuminate only the the layer where the moonsphere exists, so it illuminates the skybackdrop too, also you can’t make the lights intensity zero beyond the lights distance value so the sky illuminates that way too?
If instead of using a moonsphere I use a backdrop image of a dark sky and a moon, I can’t make the spotlight to illuminate exactly the moon and leave the sky dark.

Try increasing the Ambient and Emit values in the shader for the material of the moon object. It will appear to emit light (although, I don’t believe it will actually illuminate anything).

Thanks Captain, that did it! I adjusted them both sliders to full blast and now have to find the right adjustment. Takes forever to find the right lighting cause I have to test render each adjustment to see the full effect in a complicated scene and wait half hour for a render. :eek: :mad:

Sure thing, glad it worked.:slight_smile: Have you tried the preview window (Shift-P in the 3D view)? You can do a “mini-render” of a small section of your scene. I find it helps a lot with making texture changes. I find that it’s occasionally a little flaky on my set up; sometimes I have to jiggle the window a pixel or two to make it refresh. It’ll definitely save you a lot of time making texture tweaks, though.

Actually - I think it will emit light. If I remember correctly what it says in the Blender Manual.

Hmmm… I may have been confused then, thinking of a different renderer. I use four or five different renderers for different projects, and I get a little lost between them sometimes, especially on the fine points. :slight_smile:

If you feal like cheating you can set the material for the background shadeless(if yafray supports it).

From the Blender 2.3 Guide. Materials and Textures

“In the Shaders panel, the Emit slider gives, in non zero, an emitting property to the material. This property makes the material visible even without lights and can be itself a source of light if the Radiosity engine is used.”

Seeing that the slider only goes from 0 - 1.0. I don’t see it giving off much light, so how useful it would be I don’t know.