Bringing blender tutorials to rights

Hi

this subject might already have been discussed to death here or elsewhere. I might also be blissfully unaware of sites that supply the product discussed in this thread. However I’m going to say what I have to say… and please correct me if I’m wrong.

First off, I’m a noob in Blender… and I can feel it. Blender is for me a work of wonder… simply because it shows that open source / free software can work and could work throughout the world. I’m not a wishy washy tree hugging dope smoking idealist (although
I firmly believe all heads of state should be - sit back and watch the world get better) I understand money speaks, but software like Blender is a breath of fresh air in this overly corporate world.

Okay, so now I come to the “bad” part of this thread. (Once again this is only my limited opinion - if you know better, please correct me.)

It seems that there is a definite lack of production oriented tutorials for noobs. I understand the need to learn the basic shortcuts, but if other people are like me, they
would like to see why you would for instance use a cube instead of a sphere, or why you would loop-cut instead of multi-cut. Yes there are tutes that show you blender doing such things, but not the why of them… at least not clearly enough.

Maybe someone else feels the same way, maybe not. I’ve browsed some of the art on this site and undoubtedly there are some exquisite minds at work on blender around the world. What I would like to suggest is, instead of each one working on tutes as per request or as they feel… maybe we can form a “standards” organisation looking specifically at creating and managing tutorials. Such a panel would ideally constitute top artists and mid level blenderado’s (did i just coin a term there?) with great deal of input from newbies. (If such a panel exists, sorry. I will now model a gun (very simple model) and shoot myself digitally.)

I know standardising something sometimes whittles away at the creative sense of discovering something for oneself on trial and error basis. But the overall direction gives people a chance to discover these few “surprises” along the way.

What do you think?

Kind regards

me.

:wink:

oh bugger - i posted same kind of post twice! how to delete or merge?

Note: I posted something in this thread earlier, and it said it was waiting to be approved my a mod?

Update to the post I posted, but maybe didn’t:

This tutorial looks pretty good for explaining the basics, and upwards, too. I’ve only but glanced at it though.
http://blenducation.org/wordpress/blender-fast-track-parent-page/

I feel the same way too. I’ve made another thread where I ask about the “philosophy” of certain tools, as I think that the tutorials are too much “to do this, you need to do that”. Kinda like a guided tour. I would love to see tutorials that cover one or two features, such as for example “The render pipeline settings in the Materials panel”, that tell you how to use them and where to put them to good use.

Also, I like the term “blenderado”.

I suggest blenderunderground- very good resource for starters. - it shows you almost all the tools and it’s not project based.

It really just all comes down to efficiency.

Well project based isnt all that bad… people have to see WHY certain things or settings or methods are better for THIS than maybe THAT and when it’s better to do it the other way. I think people learn faster by example. That’s why I would seriously suggest people maybe do a space scene, where they start with something as simple as making star field then a dead planet with rings (for a moon) where you introduce them to the basics and some basic node work compositing. Then do the Earth like world with more intermediate stuff and then getting them to model and composite in a detailed space ship. You savvvy?

Hi AnubisZA

did you see the movies I am making? They mainly focus around the why and how.

A problem is also there is often no right way to do, there are many. Some have advantages,
disadvantages and some are the same. It is often hard to say.

In the movies I try to give a broad view about possible ways and why. There are here in the
tutorial thread.

Claas