Bringing models from 2.6 to 2.49

There seems to be a problem when I append/link an object that is made in 2.6 to blender 2.49. In the viewport, it looks to be fine. However, when I start the game engine, the textures seem to be rendered inversly as if the normals have been flipped. Trying to compensate, I select all of the objects verticies in edit mode and flip the normals… just makes it look even more messed up. I think it might have something to do with the materials. Any ideas?

The .blend file format wasn’t made to be forwards compatible (i.e. you can take models from 2.49 to 2.6, but not 2.6 to 2.49, as 2.6 wasn’t even thought of when 2.49 was made; it’s like trying to put a PS3 disc into a PS2). It’s still pretty amazing that you can load blend files from 2.6 in 2.49, even if it’s not 100% perfect. If I recall, it gives an error, but still loads most of the data.

I’m not sure how you can fix 2.6 models to work with 2.49, though.

If I may ask, why do you want to go from 2.6 to 2.49 - is there a missing feature that you need?

I’m still working with 2.49 because I wish to commercialize my game. And in order to do so without confilcting with GPL, I’ve decided to use the “bpplayer” (all glory be to C-106 Delta). And as to my knowledge, bpplayer doesnt support 2.6x files…or does it?

I haven’t really be following development on the BPPlayer, but from a short look at the thread, it looks like the latest is 2.58 or so - I’m not sure how compatible that will be with 2.6, though. You could simply use the BlenderPlayer normally, binding a blend file to load your external game blend file. If someone wants the source, you would only be obligated to provide the loader blend file.