Broadcast Microphone

Hey here is my todays little project.

I wanted to model a broadcast microphone, like they use it in radio stations and i looked around for a challenging one to do, and i ended up with the ‘Neumann BCM 104’.

This time i spent a lot of time in doing it very detailled and very realistic, in modelling and materials.

Renderer: Blender Internal
Projecttime: ~6hrs
Postproduction: None
Polycount: ~920.000

I tried to render it with Ambient Occlusion, but my old computer needs to long to do it, so i maybe add some images with Ambient Occlusion later on, when i had the time to render them.

Attachments

amazing world, very realistic! congratulations!

looks great. :slight_smile:

especially with BI

wow looks great

I now also modelled the emblem/logo of the microphone, i also got a few renders of it, but the DoF returns kinda weird results, time for a little bugtracking… Also one material has some mapping errors, that all subject of fix :slight_smile:

Here is an image of how it looks in solid mode and in render

for higher resolution take a look here --> http://jimmyon.deviantart.com/art/Broadcast-Microphone-Detail-212859439

Nice image dude! Be careful about the DOF, it isn’t working well in the first image, the grain it’s too big and this is very unrealistic. You also should get down the reflections on plastic materials, decreasing the gloss amount (but if your computer isn’t good, forget it, this increase a lot your render times) , or add a subtle bump to get the same effect…

Agree with V1k1ngo. The DOF needs work in your 1st image - it looks like heat distortion atm. But it’s still very detailed and realistic.

The DoF in the first image of the first post had low samples to keep rendertime short, the new problems i have with the dof is that the range settings are not as i wanted them.
Thanks for all the feedback, any criticism on the model though? (Note that there is actual interior in the microphone, but due to missing AO its really hard to see it)

Again.
BI is not suitable for these kind of renders.
Use Cycles, Lux or something like those.
You would get much greater results instantly.

good job, nice work ;D

And again, my computer does not allow unbiased rendering for me, as much as i wish it would.

Wow looks great. can i know how you create plastic material.

False. BI it’s perfectly capable of get this kind of renders. In fact, it’s cheaper and faster than an unbiased render, you just have to know how set up your materials correctly

Jimmyon,

This is truly great work, congratulations!
How do you make the mic wire/net thingy?

False. BI it’s perfectly capable of get this kind of renders. In fact, it’s cheaper and faster than an unbiased render, you just have to know how set up your materials correctly

Not sure about cheaper and faster… BI is kind of slow.
The thing is, BI renders will NEVER look as good as a renderer capable of GI. No matter how much you tinker, it’s possible to get close, but never completely there. So No, BI is a BAD choice for photorealistic renderers. Cycles and such do not require any effort in tinkering, F12 is the magical button that does it all for you, with way better results.

A complete analogy would be trying to draw a long straight line without a ruler. You can try. It might look straight after lots of tinkering, but it will never be. It’s just not worth the effort. Your hand is as suitable to draw straight lines, as BI is suitable for photorealistic renders. And they really arent!

And again, my computer does not allow unbiased rendering for me, as much as i wish it would.

If your computer can use BI, it can use other renderers as well.
It’s weird if it can’t.

No…you are incorrect. I’ve been testing cycles extensively and for these kind of renders, it is faster than Blender internal…usually by a large margin.

Blurred reflections like the ones in the picture above are very slow with the internal renderer. Plus this is an open studio setup, and those kinds of renders resolve to a clean image really fast with Cycles. (See the initial cycles preview video on youtube)

@Jimmyon

That’s really nice modeling work, and the renders are very polished. Kudos.

you know, the choice of renderer is completely up to the artist.

I think BI looks great in this and has decent quality.

For incredibly fast renders in BI try out relfection baking and mapping, works a treat, especially with blurred reflections.

Ofcource I’m not saying that the image is bad. No way.
I’m just saying that it’s possible to make it even better.

Usually BI renders look like modern realtime game graphics (Or just a little better), this one doesn’t so really good job!
However, the lack of GI gives this image a feel, as if it was rendered in 1995…

could you elaborate on how to do that?

You can’t bake reflections – They change depending on the view. You could use environment maps though.