Broomsticks - Magic Carpet Remake

Disclaimer : This is my first game. My objective is to prove that a remake of the 1994 Magic Carpet game would still be enjoyable almost 20 years later.

Download latest version here
Warning : many things are buggy/under development.

Video of v0.1 :

Video of v0.2 :

https://youtu.be/FGZ-BvCs7Vg

Video of v0.3 :

Instructions :

Fill your castle with mana to win !

•  Build and upgrade your castle using the appropriate spell 

•  Destroy your enemies and competing wizards to release manaballs 

•  Claim the manaballs so your balloons come and get them 

•  Claim the little houses to gain more personal mana 

If you die without castle, you lose.

Controls :

•  QSZD or WSAD or arrows to move 

•  Left Click : Cast left spell 

•  Right Click : Cast right spell 

•  Left Control or Right Control : Descend 

•  Spacebar : Ascend 

•  Hold Left Click  + Roll Mousewheel : Change left spell 

•  Hold Right Click + Roll Mousewheel : Change right spell 

•  Hold Tab : enlarge minimap 

Credits :

• Textures found on cgtexture
  • Ocean shader by martinsh (I think)
  • Fire emitter by C.A.ligari

Ha! Welcome to the forum :slight_smile: First post,first game and already a nice progress. I loved the old game and it’s atmoshpere, sounds and music. Seems you’ve made a nice base replica so far. I know it’s all very WIP but I"ll post my thoughts below.
Bugs,crits,ideas:
Balon got stuck in the base of castle when returning with mana.The castle mana did not fill after that(stayed grey) though after a few manaballs collected the castle spell worked correctly.
Turned manaballs roll over the terrain way too much. Add some fricition?
You can build your castle on top of enemy castle and enemy castle can spawn on top of houses.
Left-right click + mouse scroll for changing spells is awkward. Can you make it as in the original?
Could you add an inverse mouse up-down option? Seems I’ve got used to the other way. Probably other users will be too so it will be a handy option to have.
Minimap camera shouldn’t be connected with the player’s altitude as it seems to me now. Or you did it other way? The water flickers as camera is changing altitude (though that is true for the first person view as well. Minimap should be smaller with clear indication where is the player.
There is some flickering of the terain and water caused by the lod (?) When looking down pretty obvious.
You can kill suzana’s projectiles with yours :slight_smile: but the red guys are fast little buggers/killers :slight_smile:
Birds are scary! :slight_smile: they could use some more speed. I can outrun them flying backwards.
Caught a glimpse of the enemy wizard. Isn’t he flying too high?
Spells effects shouldn’t be affected by the worlds lights.
When using the “hill” spell on the ground plate’s edges it looks really weird :slight_smile:
Make aim either a little bit smaller or thinner so it does not obstruct much the view.

Sorry for the double post but had to attach 2 more pictures and finish my thoughts :slight_smile:
SInce I really liked that game I’ll offer my help if you need an extra hand in modelling and some animation jus pm me. You can check some of my work from the signature. If you don’t need help - it’s ok as well. I’ll still check your progress and be glad about it :slight_smile:
Forgot to mention :
maybe make the minimap semi transparent as well.
use better video capture program?
Well I could add a ton of things but I guess you already know 90% of them and you’re working on adding things to the game.
Visual_change 1&2 show the flickering problem.It’s just a small mouse up-down movement.

Wouldn’t a premade map without them ground tiles solve the flickering and “edge rise” problems? Though it’s nice to have a random generated map option.
So keep up the good work! Waiting for the next update! Good luck!

I’m really glad you appreciate the game ! Since I’m clueless about modelling and animating, your help would be very welcome.

I’m adressing your remarks below :

• maybe make the minimap semi transparent as well :
  • Minimap camera shouldn’t be connected with the player’s altitude as it seems to me now. Or you did it other way? The water flickers as camera is changing altitude (though that is true for the first person view as well. Minimap should be smaller with clear indication where is the player.

Minimap camera is indeed parented to the player. I’m looking for a solution to overlay essential gameplay elements (player, balloon, manaballs). Current solution also affects performance way too much, but is the simplest solution I could think of.

• use better video capture program?

Good suggestion. I’m using recordmydesktop on Ubuntu, which is great except it outputs .ogv videos. I converted it before upload on Youtube, but there was a very visible loss.

• Balon got stuck in the base of castle when returning with mana.

Working on it :slight_smile:

• Turned manaballs roll over the terrain way too much. Add some fricition?

Great suggestion. Sometimes the balloon has to travel great distances because of this.

• You can build your castle on top of enemy castle and enemy castle can spawn on top of houses.

I’m going to examine how the original handles this.

• Left-right click + mouse scroll for changing spells is awkward. Can you make it as in the original?

In the original you had to press enter to show the map in fullscreen and select your spell. It was not really practical in the middle of combat.

• Could you add an inverse mouse up-down option? Seems I’ve got used to the other way. Probably other users will be too so it will be a handy option to have.

Good idea.

• There is some flickering of the terain and water caused by the lod (?) When looking down pretty obvious.

I’ve currently no idea how to fix this. I think it’s caused by the terrain generation algorithm : frustum culling thinks the object is outside the field of view, but the modified mesh in inside.

• Birds are scary! :slight_smile: they could use some more speed. I can outrun them flying backwards

They are meant to be easy but surprising and harassing monsters :slight_smile:

• Caught a glimpse of the enemy wizard. Isn’t he flying too high?

The wizard AI is completely numb for the moment.

• Spells effects shouldn’t be affected by the worlds lights.

Good point. Spells models are placeholders for now. Ideally, I’m going to use a particle emitter for spells.

• When using the “hill” spell on the ground plate’s edges it looks really weird :slight_smile:

Terrain modification is the feature that needs the most debugging. It’s a real nightmare.

• Make aim either a little bit smaller or thinner so it does not obstruct much the view.

Done :slight_smile:

I just stumbled across this thread from google! I think your work is amazing and I hope you continue with this!

If you don’t already know, there is a website www.kickstarter.com where you can post your project to raise interest along with monetary pledges to further the development of any creative works!

one thing I would love to see in a game like this, would be an elemental or runic base for the spell casting. Perhaps a casting system similar to ‘Magicka’ (elemental based) or ‘Ultima Underword’ or ‘Arx Fatalis’ (Rune based).

It would really add to the already dynamic and creative environment that was captured in the original Magic Carpet games!

hope you improve and posted a .blend soon

Pepe is slowly adding more code for extra spells/functionality. Graphics are receiving small upgrade. Concept/story was re-thought and headed into new direction to make the new game distinct and stand on it’s own. Different bugfixes were made. Hope he’ll post a video within a month with what’s new.

I will post a significative update on Easter weekend.

You can find the 0.2 version here .

What’s new :

-Sound !
-New spells !
-Tents and archers !
-New kinds of enemies !
-Flying monkeys replace Hot Balloons !
-Vase gives access to a healing spell !

I’ve still got problems to record videos and sound now, I’ll probably post a video update in a week or so.

New video showing current progress :

• Fierce Wizard AI !
  • New meshes !

If this is getting anywhere, add this to steam greenlight thingie then post that link but atleast beta test it and alpha like 0,9 then rise it there whit updates to 1,0 i would vote it for steam :O.

I Will check this out!

You can find the 0.3 version here:

What’s new :

-Compatibility with Blender v2.65a !
-Skeleton spells spawns skeletons !
-Fireball with particles !
-Lightning spell !
-Clouds !