Bryce In Blender

:o I know Im a n00b. Bryce default terrain, imported to blender, simple grass texture added.... Im not very skilled with textures yet, so its not very varied. then just rendered. Im curious to try the default bryce textures when I get time.

Just a test. But perhaps by posting I can learn something.

cant really see any definition of the mountains, looks like the texture is mapped unevenly and is cut out in a mountain shape…

And the solution to that is :confused:

Map your textures better and take better care lighting.

Also having something to reference the mountains with would be good, like a large open plane of grass in front of the mountains. They dont really have a base or properly displayed top in the picture. So it just makes it look like a mismatch of green and brown pointy things.

Interesting tho, Bryce was my first 3D program, never liked it much however :slight_smile:

I knew someone would say that. what do I press to map a texture better?
I know its very easy to be critical, but, unless Im shown the solution, then thats not really any help. I know theres a million texturing tutorials, and they all basically say, get texture, apply to model ??? Profit.
but thats not how it works in reality. I got a hi res texture, made it tilable, applied it to the object the only way I knew how, tried to scale it down so it didnt mess up the scale, but couldnt minimize it anymore, cos it would have looked repetative.
with the lighting, I tried to create hard shadows, I even created another lamp, set to shadows only and turned that right up.

The only other option I would have would be, create a UV projection and take it into photoshop, but, trying to apply a hi res texture to a landmass, keeping it to scale, would have meant a texture 347825782957834957434GB in size. So in reality, that doesnt work.

But yea, I sense a lot of hostility towards bryce in the 3d community, I wouldnt buy it, but daz give it away free every so often. so I figured Id have a go.

For reference, this is a Bryce terrain with the terrain map exported, at a resolution of about 1k X 1k that was all my computer could handle.
So thats not an option.

For reference, this is a Bryce terrain with the terrain map exported, at a resolution of about 1k X 1k that was all my computer could handle.

I found this tutorial very helpful on procedural texturing in blender. Some experiments with the setup he uses in tutorials and you can get better results without straining your system too much.

I followed his water tutorials, I didnt bother reading that particular one cos I thought the output looked rubbish, but I will give it a read this time.