Bryce or Terragen

I’m making a mixed cel animation movie and CG movie (characters will be cell, backgrounds will be CG [think SkyBlue]) and am looking for some sort of terrain generator. I am torn between Terragen and Bryce. Money out of the equation, which would you guys suggest?

IMO terragen is easier to use…however, until TG2 is released, there’s no support for trees and bushes, which in bryce I believe there is… and… whatever you like best will do… try terragen and find out… it’s bad or it’s good… you dhould try downloading the WaterWorks plugin though… makes is look slightly better.

Honest reply? Bryce is garbage, I didn’t even download it when they were giving it out for free. Terragen is lovely but limited, at least till TG2 comes out.

Buy vue 5 or 6, you won’t regret it:

OR, if you just want landscapes and nothing else, just use the latest version of Terragen, and save a lot of money. Under no circumstances buy Bryce, it’s an all round horrible work environement.

Bryce garbage? With raytracing? Volumetric lights garbage? Advanced procedural textures garbage? Plant/tree generator etc garbage? Atmosphere genny garb? etc etc. I dont think so.

Bryce is great for skies and landscapes, but you really need to work with it to avoid the ‘bryce look’.

Bryce is very bad for modeling (primitives, booleans and terrains only). Also if you enable raytracing to the max, of course its going to be slow. Raytracing engine is better than Blender interna IMHO.

If I am not mistaken, you can get Bryce 5.5 for free (as in beer, and I dont mean warezed Bryce). Some kind of promoting thing. Google it.

Oh gosh found the link http://www.daz3d.com/program/bryce/bryce5free.php

One more option:

Carrara 5 Pro - nice tree and plant generator, as well as good terrain, water and sky generators, plus it’s also a full 3D modeling / animation app.

Bryce garbage? With raytracing? Volumetric lights garbage? Advanced procedural textures garbage? Plant/tree generator etc garbage? Atmosphere genny garb? etc etc. I dont think so.

Bryce is great for skies and landscapes, but you really need to work with it to avoid the ‘bryce look’.

Bryce is very bad for modeling (primitives, booleans and terrains only).

Firstly, bryce is terrible for skies, the procedural clouds are pretty much as tacky as they come. And yes, you have to do a hell of a lot of work to avoid that crappy bryce look, which Is why I said it was garbage in the first place. It’s a horrible program.

It’s a horrible program.

No it is not. :slight_smile: Its more than a simple terrain genny.

You might not like it or know how to wield it well, but it has many usable features. Blenda-project could use some of the texture features and the beautiful volumetric light that Bryce has. IMHO.

Bryce might not be a ‘real 3D app’ for all the hc purists, but it does have its place, and if talking about terrain gennies, bryce is pretty much the industry standard, JFTR, JMO.

I also vote for Vue D’Esprit. You can spend DAYS in Bryce trying to get things just right, which doesn’t happen in Terragen, but Vue has the best of both worlds and then some. Not cheap, though.

Bryce’s renderer is also very slow as i’ve heard. Get Vue, the photorealistic rendering ability with ecosystems and all that would be worth it if you have the money.

I’ve heard there’s a plugin for the current Terragen to render trees, but I haven’t seriously looked at Terragen for quite some time; so I could be wrong.

Bryce’s renderer is also very slow as i’ve heard.

Cyborg - Radiosity/Volumetric light etc are going to be slow. The render isn’t your average run of the mill one, IMHO, even if its not the best one either.

I’m not a Bryce fan and I hate all the ‘ball in a random landscape’ bryce render galleries out there, but bryce was a remarkable piece of software at a certain point and still isnt worst, only the best have gotten better.

Hi all;

I see it like this,
Bryce is capable without a doubt (but I think the interface is just bizarre- a carrarra type thing), but as someone said earlier, the competition has got better (namely Vue) while Bryce has changed developers, had code re-writes and largely not progressed since Version 5 (which is a couple of years old now).

I got a free copy of Bryce 5 fro Daz, and a free copy of Vue 3 on a magazine, and overall they are about equal IMO. Bryce has a tree editor, but you are editing weird looking trees from the start (with funny roots!), whereas Vue has SolidGrowth for growing random vegetation the looks greta, but you can’t edit it.

Vue 4 Shits all over bryce 5 (and 5.5, and 6 by the sounds of it), because it has all the new features that Bryce 5 has (metaballs, rocks, symetric terrains, more veg species…).

If you can get USD$600 together abd you get a copy of Vue5 Infinite, you’ll have the best landscape tool available (it has been used on numerous feature films). This is a SERIOUS tool.

I have certain philosphies about paying lots for software (but not pirating it either), so I have fun with bryce 5a and Vue 3. The biggest limityation with either of them (and Vue 5 infinite is the only app which does this at the moment), is that you can’t import camera data from other apps, and this makes them very limited in their use in post environments.

Thats the way I see it,
DT

Does anyone here have any oppinion of terraform?

Just got an email from DAZ, that Bryce 6 is only $6, if you buy the Platinum membership for $29.95 then $7.95 a month, So I did:D.

Now I have a LOT of downloading to do, all the bryce 6 program and addon files and packs, plus all the free monthly content, and as an added bonus, you get to choose 15 items free from their Platinum bonus pack range.:smiley:

I think I am in danger of wearing out my adsl modem:eek:…wots that burning smell:eek:.

Ken

Hi again All
The release of Bryce 6 cnfims my suspicions: DAZ is still getting to grips with the code-base and haven’t implemented any real ‘hero’ features again. But they may still in the future. And if some can explain to me the weird roots on the bottom of all the bryce trees, I’d be really appreciative…

If by terraform you mean terragen, it is quite a capable package and is actually very pwoerful. It does however have no 3D-preveiw, so it can seem a little non-intuitive when coming from Blender or bryce or vue or the like.

But I just checked out the write-up on TG2, now this is looking GREAT. The author of Terragen was hired by Digital Domain (I think) to write their in-house terrain generation software, which hgas since been used on many feature films and other high-end projects, and the new technology is definitely there to see in the new app.

Check it out:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/tgd/index.shtml

Somw of the pics are awesome, but then so are the pics from TG0.9

Cheers
DT

I have recently came across a new Terrain Highmap Editor and painter that is free, and allows you to do alot of different things with it. It’s still in Beta, but appears to do it’s job pretty well.

It’s called EarthSculptor and can be found at:
http://www.earthsculptor.com/