BSOD Intro to character animation question

Ok, I’ve been going through the PDF version of the tutorial, and I’m at the stage where you start extruding the face.

But when I go to extrude, it does something weird:

It gets all spiky instead of what it should like:

So, this is what my mesh looks like now:

What it should look like:

Soo…I’m just wondering if anyone knows what’s going wrong here?

Thanks.

~LC

You still have proportional editing on (the orange donut in the header). Press O-key to turn it off.

Well it works better now but it’s still not as good as that one…I guess I should go over to Ryan’s support thread for this?

@Laughing cheese:
You’re right, it looks a little different, but I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

The goal of this section of the tutorial is to get concentric rings, not necessarily to have them be nice and smooth. You can always smooth them out later by moving individual vertices.

It looks like in your case, the vertices you were extruding FROM weren’t in a smooth circle. So when you extruded and scaled up, all the “non-smooth” parts were exaggerated in the new, larger loop. Also, don’t forget to move the new vertices BACK (as per third bullet in your screenshot of the tutorial). That might make things look more like the tutorial screenshots.

A word of caution, though: it’s tough to exactly replicate the mouse movements I made in the tutorial. Don’t worry if your character doesn’t look exactly the same. In fact, there are a lot of people who have successfully finished the tutorial by making a character that looks nothing like the one in the tutorial (I’ve seen a fish man and an anthropomorphic pig, for example).

hope that helped

-Ryan