Build Blender from source (first time)

So, since I guess I should compile manually but I have no idea what parameters to edit or what libraries to exclude or include, it would be like throwing darts blindfolded. So I decided it’s best to wait until it gets in master or gets easily compilable and not take more of your precious time.
Proportional editing and human brain to the rescue !

Don’t just give up, just install every dependency and build with everything no need to mess with settings.
For example pacman install opencollada openimageio openshadinglanguage etc… and run PKGBUILD again.
Try and build master branch before anything else.
It may look overwhelming but it’ll become very easy once you comprehend what’s going on.

No for linux it doesnt matter. I can try to build it on linux, haven’t done that so far, but I’m not sure when I’ll get to it, sorry.

Well, the “With_CXX11” flag is probably necessary anyway. I can try to uild it on linux one of these days, but i havent tried that so far.

Thanks AurelGruber and ramboblender. I will give it another shot when I have the time.
Since the discussion drifted to SLIM and there is apparently no thread on this topic, I created one here. YAFU you may be interested in what I put there.

@AurelGruber. Hi, I’m trying to compile on Linux.
With the latest changes, in “/blender/intern/CMakeLists.txt”, ‘SLIM’ should be ‘slim’ in lowercase, right?
If you have some time available, could you explain what to do with those drawin libraries that you mention in message #16?. I’m not coder or anything like that, I just know some things about compiling on Linux.

@ChameleonScales, Thanks. The app from github works for the sample mesh. But I get some errors with more complex meshes.

Hey, so the libs mentioned are just necessary on mac osx. not on linux. I’ve never built on linux, so thats a problem. I guess I’ll have to do that and post here how it works / why it didn’t so far. Sorry I’m a bit of a slow replier. I try to do better ^^

OK, so I compiled it on ubuntu and it works just fine.

I can try to summarize:

MAKE SURE THAT BLENDER WORKS!

• then, navigate to the blender-git top-folder , i.e. that is blender-git/blender if you follow the instructions in the above link, and type in

git checkout uv_unwrapping_slim_algorithm

• then, you have to edit the file intern/CMakeLists.txt and change on the last line SLIM to slim. Sorry, that is my mistake. Linux is case sensitive.

• then, you can again navigate to blender-git/build or wherever your build directory is and type
    make

and then

make install

now, blender should run with the slim unwrapping algorithm

hope this helps

No problem, thank you!

Errors still occur when try to compile. Is it still necessary set WITH_CXX11=ON?
So, I set WITH_CXX11=ON (because anyway I get errors without it ON) and I get these problems:

By the way, would I need to install some dependency related to cpp 11?. I have installed gcc 7 which I have read that is compatible with cpp 11, but still error.

This is in Kubuntu 14.04, but also get errors in Kubuntu 16.04.
As a footnote, I can successfully compile other Blender branches.