Build your own pc?

Hey guys! I’m planning of building my own pc, but I have a few questions:

-Is 32 Gb RAM an overkill? I heard from some people that is an overkill, do you think that? What are you recommend me?

-Do you know some decent tutorials? Most tutorials are pretty old and still talk about 4 Gb RAM.

-What do you recommend me for using on my pc? Which parts do you have good experience with? What stats do you think are enough for some powerfull programs running on the same time like Photoshop, Blender, …

Thanks in advance :smiley:

There have been a bunch of threads about building computers lately. I suggest you look at them to get an idea of what you might want/need.

Hi I build my own PC all from parts and I think it’s the way to go :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway if you are going to use a lot of editing software like blender or adobe stuff I’d recommend at very least 8 Gb or more like 16 Gb set since ram isn’t that expensive anymore. And as for the CPU, a i7 is pretty much what you want atm… 32Gb might be an overkill, but if little more spending is not a problem why not? At least you won’t need to worry about running out of ram on big projects so much :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, thanks for the reply! I think I will use 16 Gb because I don’t want my pc to be too expensive, I think I will use an i7 because I’m now really happy with my i5 but it may be a bit faster :stuck_out_tongue: As I see your specs in your signature, may I ask how much did it cost? Because it seems pretty sweet! Do you have any advice on video karts and some other parts? If you want you can add me on msn :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey I just found the specs of a pc who I can use the case and some more outside parts of:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
2047 MB
Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.40GHz
3388,6 MHz
SigmaTel Audio |
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 | LogMeIn Mirror Driver | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
1x; Plug en Play-monitor |
1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network Present
Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection - McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport
1x (D: | ) D: LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S
COM1 LPT1
8 Button Wheel Mouse Present
C: 232,9GB
C: 121,4GB
5 host controllers.
Not Detected
Intel Corp.

AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 03/13/07 | INTEL - fec
Romance (standaardtijd)
No Battery
Intel Corporation D945GTP
192.168.0.219 |
00-19-D1-7F-B0-7A
PCBUREEL
NT94510J.86A.4076.2007.0313.2225

Do you think I can use any of these or should I just replace them all?

No 32gb isn’t overkill;

I have a four year old i7; it had 6gig, and I’ve added 12 to it; big scenes, especially if have other programs open, push me towards max.

A recent scene used to use 5.5gig ish and at times would slow to a crawl; I added 12gig more, and with no other open software other than what startup handles, it jumped to using just over 9gig.

Having more than you’ll need means that all programs use what they want; so it releases a small amount of overhead on the processor and hard disk.

It will also mean that you can comfortably have more than one instance of blender open.

Oh! And if you aren’t going for 64gig OS then don’t waste your time with more than 4.

The old axiom, that one couldn’t have too much memory, is almost true. :slight_smile:

Well yeah my system was pretty costly since I bought pretty decent parts right from the start. Also I only had a laptop before so I had to buy everything including the case and monitor etc. Just look around the most popular pc component sellers and you will get a pretty good idea what your build will cost once you have decided all the components you are going to use.

About graphics card(s) it really depends on what are you going to do with your machine, and how will you want it to perform. And you need to decide between AMD and NVDIA :stuck_out_tongue: Well I think you just need to research the components ( read reviews etc) otherwise it’s endless talking it here - that’s what I did anyway.

What kind of computer do you have now, if it’s not a laptop are you going to keep it, I mean can you use any parts from it? About the old pc, well you might be able to use the case (depends if it’s compatible with your new mobo), PSU (though it’s likely it might be too weak/old for a modern system) monitor, mouse etc if you are fine with em.

I don’t think there will be much sense building a new computer and then use a 32bit OS… Also if you are going for more than 16Gb ram you need at least windows professional edition :slight_smile:

Made my PC over the summer, here is my thread: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?256773
I referenced the new egg How to build a computer series
Part1: (Choosing Your Components) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
Part2: (The Build) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Part3: (Installing Windows & Finishing Touches) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

Did the viewport performance suffer as a result? I only have 4GB but might upgrade to 8GB or 16GB.

@GiteZz

I would probably replace Windows XP SP3 with Windows 7 64bit instead.

Only for rendering, not for editing, etc.

Also, the key to building a really skoocum PC is research. Know everything you can know about each and every hardware part, every application and every OS and how all these work together BEFORE you even make a list of what to buy. Then, once you have a list, do even more research on each item on the list to make sure there aren’t any gotchas related to any other item on the list.

If your research takes any less than a month, you’re jumping in way too fast, especially if you’ve never built a PC before. Take your time.

I completely agree, it took me a couple or more months do to the research wait for deals pick the parts do research again, etc…
Definitely read up on all of the computer parts, compare them, look on forums, see what other people say, etc…

Viewport was fine when I wasn’t rendering - even with 5 million verts; the issues were when rendering. I’d recommend having at least 16gig.

i agree, 16GB minimum.(if you can afford it obviously)

No such thing as too much ram. I have 4GB and its not enough.

Not enough.

Aside from the topic above do you know dried mixed fruits?

I’m attempting my first build too - scary!! And I’m going for 32gb of ram (but that’s mainly for using PS)

Here are a few bits I’m finding useful:

http://pcpartpicker.com/

oh and I’ve been advised to post it on reddit for feed back. Hope that helps.

Haha yeah first time is always a first time.
I found watching this new egg’s video series on youtube quite helpful before I build my PC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Once you have done it once you feel like a master at it xD

Good luck :slight_smile:

Make sure if you run Windows that you need Windows 7 Pro to see 32 Gigs of ram. I think the home version only supports 16G

Hello guys!

Quit a bump here, but I’m somewhat later and I still didn’t do something more then research.

I’t still doubt about my choice which processor I will use. I see that everyone here uses an Intel i7 but AMD’s processor seams cheaper with somewhat less power. My choice about a GPU had allready been made: a Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti, it’s maybe not that powerfull in Blender, but in all the other games it is as strong as a GTX 580 with less money. What do you guys thinks of it? Do you have a AMD CPU which you recommend me?

Cheers!

Hi ! AMD is cheaper, has good performance in multithreaded applications like raytracing but lacks single core performance and consumes more power. If you think you would benefit from single threaded apps the same as you would in multithreaded and you use windows operating system then you should buy an intel processor maybe wait for the ivy 8 core equivalent of the 3820 sandy.

If you will use the computer mostly for rendering inside linux I would recommend the AMD 8 core or the new server 16 cores Abu-Dhabi.

GPU is still very limited for VFX. Maybe simpler ArchViz works better.