Building a better eyeball. Now with Tutorial !

lucidMonkey,

I went through each setting in the pdf and mine looked like your until I set the noise size to 0.020

It’s in the pdf, but that decimal point’s a bit tricky to pick up.

Sorry - Double post!!

Check the Noise Size again. It should be about 0.020 (ie: Really, Really small !)

thanks Ammusionist. I should have looked again :slight_smile:

Other than size the biggest setting for me was the Lacu setting, that is how you are getting that nifty effect!

i hope that tutorial doesn’t fade into the mirky depths of this forums lost pages, its not only a perfectly presented tutoral on how to make a pure procedural textured eye but it includes nifty tips that are invalubal to blender learners

that musgrave texture is golddust, the best procedural work sinse Prince Serg’s Toy
IMO

4.5 stars for the eye and the tut (rounded up)

Awesome work… really like it alot. Will take a small break from monastery modeling and try your tutorial :slight_smile:

Apparently 2.43 RC1 does something different with that texture/UV mapping size. I opened your eyeball in 2.43 RC1 (OS X 10.3.9 py2.3) and this is the result:

2.43http://schnellweb.ca/blender/eye%20243.png2.42http://schnellweb.ca/blender/eye242.png

It looks proper in 2.42a. Great tut/method btw!

Thanks dschnell289,

I wasn’t aware of that! I’ll give it a look-see when I get home and see if I can figure out what’s changed in 2.43.:eek:

Thanks Ammusionist for sharing…I got additional learning material today…great job!!!

This is great. thanks for the tut. I’m having a go now :slight_smile:

—Shamem

2.43 actually does a slightly different job of UV/Procedural mapping - It takes the Z dimension into account (as well it should!)

Because the musgrave texture has a really tiny field in which the centripedal pattern appears, you need to tell Blender to ignore the Z component of the texture:

Go to the material buttons and go to the “Map Input” buttons.
There are three rows at the bottom left that are the “Map this texture dimension to that object dinmension”. First row is X, second is Y and third is Z.

To tell blender to ignore the Z dimension, click the first square in the third row as shown.

Cheers.

Sweet. I tried to figure out how to make the procedural textures for the iris before but gave up. This is very cool, thanks.

Cool. simple enough of a solution, and good that Blender’s being made more proper every day!

thanks for the great tutorial!

word of small warning, the ramp on the eye white shader designed to make the eye less blood shot towards the iris, follows the camera and not the iris
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4522/eyetestco0.jpg

Thanks a lot for the tutorial Ammusionist! It’s working great for me.

Cheers
Cuby

hmm, not sure why you should use procedural textures if an image/photo of an eye works just fine, if not better.

It was one of the original conditions I set myself when I started. See page 1 of the tute!

right, will get down to rewritting this once I see the source file that you used…Or I will just follow the tutorial…yawns Nice tutorial though.

PM me your email and I’ll send you the .odf (OpenOffice.org format) file. The pic’s come out better from that than the PDF, and you can copy and paste!

Note - Source file near the beginning of this thread is not completely faithful to the tutorial - it has a concave iris instead of flat. More for effect than anything else. Harks back to my days as a puppeteer, building “Henson” eyeballs long before they were “Pixar” eyeballs !!!

can you key an image textures various aspects? using procedurals adds a huge level of control you simply don’t have with image based.

no doubt another layer or two of procedurals would make this even better… .most iris’s have a bit of speckle or spots in them (voroni). A light cloud layer on the white material adds a bit, as does a layer of blue viens… this eye method kicks arse!