Building Blender in Manjaro

Thought I would put this here after a long struggle with trying to build Blender in Manjaro. I searched the internet for the answer to the failures and got half explanations, or ran into abandoned posts, but if you are running Manjaro Linux and wanting to build Blender, follow these steps…

To build Blender on Manjaro.

1. Manually install open shading language from the repositories

2. Manually install open color IO from the repositories

3. Manually install open subdiv from the repositories

4. Install the CUDA toolkit 10.1 or better from repository (as of December 2019, 10.2 is in repository)

5. Follow the installation guide on https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Building_Blender/Linux/Arch

6. Don’t use the precompiled dependencies, rather use the install_deps.sh bash script with the --skip-osl oiio flag otherwise the script will try to download and compile these, causing the script to fail and stop, however this did not seem to skip oiio in my build and caused no problems.

7. In the make command, that looks like this…

make -j16 BUILD_CMAKE_ARGS="-U SNDFILE -U PYTHON -U BOOST -U Boost -U OPENCOLORIO -U OPENEXR -U OPENIMAGEIO -U LLVM -U CYCLES -U OPENSUBDIV -U OPENVDB -U COLLADA -U FFMPEG -U ALEMBIC -D WITH_CODEC_SNDFILE=ON -D PYTHON_VERSION=3.7 -D WITH_OPENCOLORIO=ON -D WITH_CYCLES_OSL=OFF -D WITH_LLVM=OFF -D WITH_OPENSUBDIV=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB_BLOSC=ON -D WITH_ALEMBIC=ON -D WITH_CODEC_FFMPEG=ON -D FFMPEG_LIBRARIES=‘avformat;avcodec;avutil;avdevice;swscale;swresample;lzma;rt;’"

change the python version to the one installed in the system. Must be 3.7 or greater. In the recent case as of Dec 2019, Manjaro has python 3.8

–>As a note, ‘make’ at the beginning can be replaced with ‘make full’ which will be in sync with the Blender devs.

From here, enjoy your own build of Blender. To update your build you will have to navigate to the build directory and run make update. This will look only for the changes in the build and update those, so you don’t have to download hundreds of MBs each time. Current version as of writing is 2.82.6

2 Likes

Stumbled across this while looking for info on Alembic.

Thanks for sharing this.
I will definitely be giving your guide a test.

Thank you! I’m struggling right now to compile in manjaro, I’ll try your method right away!