Building blender with WITH_BF_REDCODE

I build Blender from subversion every few days and since build 15089 there was an option to build Blender with support for the RED CONE camera digital format (or something like that). I have to set the config option WITH_BF_RECODE to “false” to get Blender to build.

Out of curiosity I was wondering:

1. Has anyone else had this problem, and
  2. What would I need to build Blender with REDCODE enabled? (Just curious about this.)

Thanks!

it is only handy if you are editing footage shot on the red line of cameras they are very good cameras, they are making a 3k(higher than hd) camera for about $3,000 usd

More like $30,000 usd.

no $3,000 they anounced scarlet at NAB this year

and here is another place quoting $3,000 for the Red Scarlet here

I assume the libraries/code needed to build Blender only come with the camera then? I just wonder what it takes to build Blender with the option enabled.

I’m wondering what this option is used for. I shoot with the red quite frequently, and being a raw digital format, I can’t imagine it being much use in Blender unless you plan on doing your color correction in Blender, which wouldn’t make much sense when RedCine has a far far more robust interface for it. Has anyone found a use for this feature? Is this compiled into the general distribution binary?

The support was added for compositing purposes I believe. It is not included in the official build AFAIK.

Not at all. The redcode decoder (libredcode) only depends on libopenjpeg (which is already in extern/libopenjpeg).

There are known issues with certain compilers (ICC for one) but it would compile out of the box on Linux/GCC. Most of the reported problems were solved with a clean rebuild.

If you have any compile errors, please report them on the mailing list.

Martin

How do you find out what options you can build Blender with?(sorry for posting this here, don’t mean to hijack)

You can find the available options at blender/config/youros.py
You can then make your own config file named user-config.py and put it …/blender

I just build Blender (trunk) from SVN, and enabled redcode in config/linux2-config.py. I don’t see any compile errors, but I can’t open the .R3D file I have. When I try to add it in the sequencer, I get this error:
“The selected file is not a movie or FFMPEG-support not compiled in!”
Is there any way I can verify that redcode is compiled and available?

I’m wondering what this option is used for. I shoot with the red quite frequently, and being a raw digital format, I can’t imagine it being much use in Blender unless you plan on doing your color correction in Blender, which wouldn’t make much sense when RedCine has a far far more robust interface for it. Has anyone found a use for this feature? Is this compiled into the general distribution binary?

RED support in Blender, in my opinion, would be very important, maybe not primarily for CC, but at least for management and transcoding. Right now the workflow is pretty much fixed, since you need to use RED’s software (or Scratch…), and a Intel Mac or Windows. The post-production firm where the company I work for has an office, are having headaches right now because of this inflexibility. If Blender could somehow provide this flexibility… (dreaming). Of course, another big problem is how RED is controlling the format. Release the spec already! It’s clear that RED is being used more and more, there’s no way around it. It should not complicate existing workflows.

I can’t load r3d files but my problem is a “segmentation fault” and i think this problem only exists in 64 bit systems, are you running 64 bit linux?

in this page http://peter.schlaile.de/redcode/ peter schaile ( i think he have coded the redcode support) gives an explanation of r3d conversion, i tried using his programs but i can’t i have the same segmentation fault with format.c. Maybe you can try conversion with his format.c and see why your system cant read r3d.

I think in my system the problem is related to 64 bit and a function called “ntohl” that converts byte orders, but im not a developer and i dont know how to fix it.

when i have the time i will try to setup a linux 32 box to try this…

if someone have a linux 32 box and wants to try redcode support here are some example files to test: http://www.bealecorner.org/red/test-080108/index.html , please post your experiences.

vico