Building Tools

Very straightforward, fast & reality-based for actual building(s) - from what you show so far; great work!
Looking forward to your next steps with it.
Although you state that it is for the exterior of a building, it shows that you have a sense of real architecture - & that should make it easy for logical interior floor plans, too.
So, for a further wish list: building cross sections?
:slight_smile:

Very good addon and a very instructive video tutorial. I tried this out in both Blender 2.78C and 2.79. It works on both version.
Thanks

ranjian0: Do you have any advise on how to apply seperate materials to the various building parts. I know I could just use smartUV projection and use and external graphics program like Gimp to make a uv image but I want to use blender internal materials as much as possible. The export easier to .fbx. And NO I DO NOT use cycles

Here is the first thing that I have done with this wonderful tool. I know it is pretty generic but it was my first attempt.!!!

BUILDING%20TOOLS1%20(2)

3 Likes

This is not a negative critisiim but two features that I would like to see addted to this wonderful addon would be:

#1) The ability to --seperate-- windows Lke in this image:

Yo see how each window has a wall or solid piece of the building between it and the next one.

#2) would be the ability to make the stairs go below the level of the selected slab So you could have a flight of stars that lead UP to the doorway.Like this.

download%20(2)

Really Cool Addon. Thanks for creating this addon. A question if i want to add 2-3 window with offset is there any option or how can i make 2-3 windows at single click

window

2 windows.blend (879.9 KB)

atekdigital: I had the very same question that I asked just prior to your question. I think ranijan0 has basically abandoned this addon. It happens all the time in the open sourced free blender world. I have been using blender for 17 years now and have dozens of old scripts that I cannot get an answer on. That is why I keep a zip archive of old blender versions on an external hard drive. Just in case I need to go back to something I used years ago.

Btw how did you get the stairs to go below the level of the balconies?

Guys, SHABA1 - if you are checking Github, this addon was updated just like 5 days ago, so it is not abandoned, it is actively updated.

Hi everyone. I am writing this to clarify on the issues that are being raised.

1. The addon is not abandoned. Unfortunately, I am an engineering student and now that we are back is session, I am swamped with school work. This has left me with very little time for development. Still, development continues even if at a very slow pace. I am currently working on roof tools. See latest commit in github.

2. As to feature requests, I must again emphasize how little time I have to spare. That being said, you will find it necessary, if a feature be unavailable, to venture out into blenders modelling tools. The addon works in editmode for good reason. eg if you want an array of windows as is being suggested, just use subdivide to create as many faces as you need, then use the window tool .

Cheers.

5 Likes

Ranjian: GREAT. We all ( or I do at least) understand the real world pulls on a person’s time. That is why even after using blender for 17 years I still consider myself a hobbyist only. Just as long as you have not abandoned such a GREAT ADDON.

not installing in blender 2.79.6, may be for diff python version ?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/blender/2.79/scripts/startup/bl_operators/wm.py”, line 2047, in execute
addons_old = {mod.name for mod in addon_utils.modules()}
File “/usr/share/blender/2.79/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 208, in modules
modules_refresh(module_cache)
File “/usr/share/blender/2.79/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 195, in modules_refresh
force_support=force_support,
File “/usr/share/blender/2.79/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 137, in fake_module
mod.bl_info = ast.literal_eval(body.value)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ast.py”, line 85, in literal_eval
return _convert(node_or_string)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ast.py”, line 66, in _convert
in zip(node.keys, node.values))
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ast.py”, line 65, in
return dict((_convert(k), _convert(v)) for k, v
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/ast.py”, line 84, in _convert
raise ValueError('malformed node or string: ’ + repr(node))
ValueError: malformed node or string: <_ast.Name object at 0x7fdd8a4c00b8>

Are there plans to port this awesome addon to blender 2.80?

Yes. I intend to have it working in 2.8 before the end of this month.

4 Likes

Very cool.

Vey good news for 2.8 , very cool addon… Bravo.

I have never been able to install it on blender 2.79, and I would like to do it because I use it on a netbook that I use to model while traveling from one city to another

how to FIX this

Blender is unable to recognize the addon folder due to the punctuation marks in the name. Just rename the addon folder to building_tool then restart blender.

Also, please consider using the addon with Blender 2.80. The 2.79 addon is deprecated and will never get updated, bugfixes or new features.

Cheers.

This is still one of my top 5 most useful blender addons. I had lost it somehow but was glad that I bookmarked this page so I could get it back. I do not use 2.8 but still am on 2.79 until I get a better machine. But this addon is still useful for me.

2 Likes

ok, understand, and i don’t like 2.8, and my netbook is 32 bits, 2.79 is fine to me, i’m rookie and i not need more in this moment, but thanks for the advice

is true, I completely agree, I also don’t like to be pressured to use something I don’t want, and I try to avoid saying the phrase that causes me enmity in blender