building up your own renderfarm

Hi,

for all who want to have a full open source renderfarm, I want to mention the render queue DrQueue, which is surely known to some of you, together with the new webinterface DrQueueOnRails. Add some Linux distribution and Blender to it and you have a pure free and open source render pipeline.

The webinterface also supports rendering with the commercial renderer MentalRay (for 3DSMax, Maya, ImageStudio, SolidWorks).

More information can be found at http://drqueue.org/project/wiki/DrQueueOnRails

If you are interested, please try it out. I will try to give you some help.

Greetings, kaazoo

I am interested but have no slight hint as how to use those tools (Apache, Ruby and other required tools). How about writing a tutorial in step-by-step so that average user like me can follow.

The installation of all these software depends very much on the Linux distribution you use. That’s why I can write an easy tutorial. I used Gentoo Linux for my renderfarm, but it’s a distribution for people with longer Linux experience. You could also use Mac OSX if you like, but you would still have to install all missing software.

When you have all needed software installed, you can follow the steps in the wiki.

Hmmm,

1. Download an Ubuntu ‘Live’ CD.

2. Write a script to launch the renderfarm application, launch Blender, then look over the network to your own machine for a “Render.blend” in your C:/TMP folder.

3. Compile this script into the a copy of the “Live” CD.

4. Get your 20 minute, raytraced, 800x600 animation with loads of particle effects and rename it “Render.blend” and save it into your C:/TMP folder.

5. Go to the nice people at your local Computer/office store and purchase a stack of 100 CD-Rs .

6. Burn 99 copies of your live CD onto the CDRs.

7. When you clock off work, take a walk around the cubicles at work. Drop a CD into each PC you come across. After the tray is received into the tower, hit the reset button. Repeat until you have no more CDs.

8. Go out into the car park, put a CD in the car stereo with some “Dr. Evil’s Lair” music on and turn it up so it’s realy loud. Throw your arms up in the air and shout “MUAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH” very loudly so it drowns out the music. You are allowed to set off a purple strobe light to add to the effect of evil genius.

9. Go back into the building. Take the 100th CDR and burn 00001-30000.avi onto it.

10. Phone up Jim Murphy. Shout “BOOYA!” into the receiver and then hang up.

@ Tea_Monster

Your answer is not related to the questions above.

A renderfarm in most cases is a cluster of dedicated computers which are working all the time together on rendering 3D scenes. I’ve developed a webinterface for easy usage. You expect the user to write a render script (which could be too hard) and to seek for a lot of computers to run that Linux live-CD (spend time for every computer: rebooting, starting that render script, walking to next one, …).

99.99 percent of people DO NOT have a “a cluster of dedicated computers which are working all the time together on rendering 3D scenes”. If you did, you would probably already have a software solution to this need. If you had the money to buy a cluster of dedicated computers, you would not be downloading scripts off the net.

A lot of people DO work in an office environment where there are a lot of computers that are usually dedicated to doing something else, that is until the end of shift occurs. Then they are usually doing nothing. Why not put them to use?

I have this situation at my workplace. I don’t have (yet) the knowledge to link them together to render one scene, but I HAVE used them to individually render separate scenes for small animations. What would have taken 3 days to render took 1 evening.

The reason I suggested the Linux boot CDs is that you do not need to get separate Windows logons for all the different machines. You also don’t leave any registry, program entries or similar on the host machine.

My post was delivered in a humorous style, but I am being perfectly serious.