Burger

I’ve seen a lot of renditions of a burger around here, this is my take on it. What’s special about this project is that I tried to use procedural texturing methods for most of the food materials and no photo scanned resources were used. Everything is modeled and textured from scratch inside Blender, rendered with cycles. I also used photoshop to create a bunch of my own textures mostly height maps and texture masks. Would love to hear your opinions, I’ve been looking at it for too long. :smiley:

If you want to see it in more detail here is my artstation project:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/68Lvkn

27 Likes

The fork and knife are a little too thin, but the rest is awesome :+1:

1 Like

That looks pretty convincing, great job!

2 Likes

Thanks Bart! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I modeled them based on my cutlery from home, they bend super easy not gonna lie :smiley:

1 Like

Mmmmm :stuck_out_tongue: that’s the tastiest looking burger I’ve seen here! Nice job!

The only things that really throw me off are the texture of the patty and the lettuce material. I would add a high-frequency procedural bump map to the patty to make it less smooth and add more translucency and/or sss to the lettuce. Maybe you noticed those things too. Hope you’re ok with my constructive criticism. If I’m not zooming in and picking at the super fine details, it looks really really Great! I love the composition and the piece overall. Well done :+1:

2 Likes

Not at all, any critique is welcome. I’ve been looking at it for so long, I don’t know anymore what looks real and what looks fake :smiley: I had a battle with the lettuce, everybody else who I asked pointed it out, but if I wanted to model it perfectly it would take so much time and manual vertexpushing, I was just too lazy :smiley:

Yeah, after hours and hours of tweaking settings, there’s a point where you just have to let it be and move onto something else. I mean, I haven’t made anything as “finished” as this piece, so I think you found a good balance. I spend so much time tweaking the tiniest details only to revert back to a previous version. :sweat_smile: I think that’s a big reason I don’t have more finished pieces. I tend to get caught up in details rather than focusing on the bigger picture. So, bravo! :clap::clap::clap:

Yeah, dude, so many times I changed something to make it better, then I realize it was much better before and frenetically try to get it back how it was, but I don’t remember exactly cause I changed too much :smiley: I know that pain. In most artworks 20% of the elements take away 80% of the attention of the viewer, you just need to find, fine tune and try guide the viewers to focus on that 20%.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks a lot Bart, again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic job. I think the suggestion about working on the beef was a good idea, more than the lettuce. The lettuce looks like it works with the rest of the scenes aesthetic / appearance, so for me it does not stick out that much.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile: