Burning Piano

Alright, I’ve got the smoke pretty close to where I want it. I’m having some trouble making it billow outward, but I’ve got some ideas I’ll experiment with tonight. I’ll make the smoke a fairly subtle effect in the final composite.

Attachments

Haha, I was kind of joking but also kind of being practical. Never do something CG when it’s better to do it real, unless you’re just practicing and or have tons of time :smiley:

Best of luck.

Ok, so we went out to Minneapolis to shoot some pictures. As it turns out, the camera wasn’t white balanced. At all. It was terrible. I attached an image of what I tried to work with.

We’re going to go reshoot the image and take our time with it. We were a little rushed, running out in to the middle of the street with a tripod and a DSLR to snap a couple of pics while the other person gave the signal to GTFO when traffic started coming.

So what I have here is a slap comp. A lot of shoddy 2d techniques to get an idea of what the final image will look like without fussing with it too much.

for the final image I will:

• add more fire to other parts of the image.
    -stitch together a light probe for reflections and lighting
  • add in lights for the fire and stret lights.
  • render out shadows on the environment where they should be
  • move the piano closer to the camera.
  • add in my smoke sim.
  • add light spilling onto the road.

Attachments

I think adding some fire to the front of the piano near the top would make it look a little more realistic. Also, that’s about a half hours drive from my house! :slight_smile:

man that looks awesome!
i was gonna suggest moving the piano closer to the camera but i see that’s already on your to-do list :slight_smile:

tlehmann- I agree, I’ve got to scale the emitter up a bit and move it down so it looks like the flames are wrapping around the top edges of the piano more. That’s awesome. It’s a half hour drive from my house too! What city do you live in?

Jeepster - Thanks! I had already spent a little more time matchmoving the shot than I wanted to when we’re going to re-shoot it anyway, so I just rendered it where it was.

burn more, a little bit on the sides of the piano, not only the upper plane. i would say, such a fire causes smoke. less red/orange. the piano cover is too dark, less contrast. maybe you should burn the top in parts, not the whole plane.

my advice… you don´´t have to believe me :slight_smile:
keep it up :slight_smile:
cheers