Burster Plugin (Web Plugin for Blender Games)

Check out a game I made
http://topdownracer.webs.com

It’s old but it’s playable.

I must say that You have Done an AWESOME!!! job.:stuck_out_tongue:
i’d Be looking Forward to see more development in this web plugin.
Good Luck!
BTW Will the source code of linux version be available?:yes:

Linux source code is available:
http://geta3d.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=22

It will be nice if it has a blend files linking support,this and security are the biggest issues…otherwise its great!

hey thanks for this, its amazing news, wow, i have no words for this, this safety issue is terrible, but at the same time this is an awesome plug in, really thanks for share with us, im very happy now.
Thanks again.
I have a question, blendezo you said that the security issue is given by the .blends, not the plugin right? so if im offering my own .blend those clients ll have no problem with it right?

Content has been removed. MayDev

thanks, so i m on the same, you mean that doesnt matter this kind of safety issue is just as risky as any other kind of webplugin?

I don’t know much about servers and such, but couldn’t you protect your server from access with a password or only allow write access to a file if you’ve logged in as the creator? I suppose this is assuming the blend file is on a separate server than the website that you allow access from.

Thanks for the help, I ll start testing it because this have a great potential and I ll buy their certification product, its prety cheap and i think that this is a very usefull tool, but I ll be carefull for now.
Thanks for the replyes mayhemofhell.
One last question, Can I use any blender version? my actual projects came from the new blender s copilations!
And AC/DC rocks! there is another great rock band as this in australia? I really like them, hehe(totally off topic, sorry)

you like more agressive metal stiles, that is cool, my brother had a metal band and I really like it! But im more a classic rock guy, and If im not mistaken pantera had 2 brazilian members or have i dont know, Igor cavallera and max cavallera, but maybe im wrong, hehe.
thanks for the support anyway!

Hi guys,

I’m glad that everyone is taking the security issue seriously, but I don’t want to detract from how awesome the plugin really is. I don’t think it is any secret around here that I have wanted to see the Blender plugin make a comeback for a long time. I’m really more excited than I seem to be about this plugin, and as soon as I finish this post, I’m going to go make some web templates that integrate the plugin as a page background and then one that shows how to create a 100% height, 100% width plugin which (hopefully) scales with the page, and I’m going to see if I can test if the plugin is installed via javascript and silently fail if it is not (instead of the annoying “additional plugins required” popup)… so much to try and so little time.

Regarding the security discussion above: The issue is not about access to server files. To the best of my knowledge, the .blend format and the blenderplayer do not create any extra level of insecurity on your server. Games which run in plugins do not write information to the server. They write to your computer. The same is true with this plugin. Check my examples. They write/erase a file on your desktop. This means a malicious .blend file could use the plugin to erase all of your personal data on your computer. The real problem with using the plugin in production right now is that you would be actively encouraging people who do not know about this danger to install the plugin on their computer, thinking it was completely safe.

From what I can tell, the best way around the security problem would be for the plugin to create a chroot jail for the blenderplayer to run in. If done properly, this would stop Python from accessing any files outside of the chroot, keeping all of the user data and personal information out of harm’s way.

So the security issue is on people’s local computer, not on the server?

Still no one answered if it is possible to make a multiplayer game with this plugin using python to connect to a MySQL database?

This really looks awsome and promising, but since I have commercial intentions, a security issue, well… isn’t an option. Let’s wait and see how this will develop. :yes:

I don’t see why the BGE couldn’t do online multiplayer with this through the web plugin. As for the MySQL part, that shouldn’t be difficult; if it could be done through the BGE usually, then it should be possible through the web plugin.

blendenzo,

I have tried your hidden plugin for writing a file on both chrome and firefox 4 and in neither browser was a file written to the desktop. Originally I thought it was just chrome’s sandbox keeping me safe until I tried firefox and got the same result. Does firefox 4 also feature a sandbox or similar security measure?

Can anyone duplicated my results?

Also, does the plugin require the .blend to be self contained or can it link from multiple files?

andrew-101, I tried with Firefox 3.6 and Chrome. Same deal, no file. :stuck_out_tongue:

A friend have the version 3.6.12 and it worked out fine for him, I use Internet explorer and worked for me too.
I made some tests here and the plug in only works with blender 2.49 unfortunably, I hope that they give 2.55 suport soon!

Sorry guys. I hadn’t actually tested it on Windows because I was too lazy to fire up my VirtualBox XP.

Seems like Firefox 3.6.12 on Windows is too smart for my hidden plugin, however a visible plugin works fine to alter user data.

Try these (tested with Firefox 3.6.12 in Windows XP with full Python install):
http://www.blendenzo.com/files/burster/index.php?blend=write_to_desktop_2
http://www.blendenzo.com/files/burster/index.php?blend=erase_from_desktop_2

BTW, things are coming along well with my web layout tests. I will post layouts as soon as I work out a few more issues.

now i’m scared