Business opportunity? Add-on to create custom buttons & attaching macro or script to it?

Hi,

the one thing which bugs me ever and ever again when using Blender is a simple to use add-on which can create a little toolbar with custom buttons on it which can then be linked to any python script or action in Blender.

I have learned to love Blender, but the lack of having a very simple interface to create a custom button and being able to associate scripts to it is something I, and surely many others miss.

In Rhino it takes about 20seconds to do this.
We are in 2020 and the Blender developers still don’t like buttons and prefer endless keyboard shortcuts…

I am aware of the pie menues, but they are not what I would like to have.
All I want is a shelf for say 5-10 custom buttons which I simply need to click for them to carry out their associated scripts or macros.

Unfortunately I am not a programmer at all, but I am sure the first person writing such an add-on will be able to make a lot of money from it. There are tons of people out there who would like to have this.

Maybe there is a developer out there who would want to create this? That would be fabulous.

1 Like

Is this sort of what you are describing?

1 Like

I’m guessing here but she may be referring to a similar thing to the Maya toolbar.

Rather than just storing macros you can drag any text/script, part of a script, or macro to a toolbar, it creates an icon and you can run it whenever you want. In blender it’s a tad more tedious, you’d need to go into scripting (which is kinda fun but way more time consuming than just drag and dropping a selected snippet)

(On a similar subject, it’d be nice to just run a selected part of a script in the text editor)

Maybe try this

3 Likes

The idea is similar. It’s more tedious to use and less flexible, but it seems to have some cool options.

1 Like

It is good for couple liners. The side panel part can be turned into a floating window one so that it can be used in the viewport, the conversion requires a little bit of fiddling.

It’d be nice if there was a flexible intuitive control for button size and sorting into custom tabs and dropdowns, and the ability to store selections from a text as a button, not just the whole thing.

As it stands now you’d end up with a long list of long buttons under a single dropdown in one panel.

Something like the Blender for artists toolbar would work alrightish.

I use BFA all the time, totally recommend the toolbar.

1 Like

Uups, somehow missed the notifications on this subject.

Thanks for everyones reply

BFA is a custom built, so if you use another custom built like E Cycles, which I do, it’s not an option.
For others it surely is an option.

Command recorder does it. Thanks!