But how slow is this site

This site is of an unnerving slowness and consumes a lot of computer resources, is not usable, like many other forums that are much lighter.

The first page load is slow as Discourse is a web app. Next views should be significantly faster.

I don’t know, but it continues to be slow in all the sessions and pages, is slow, this site makes you nervous.

If i may ask you some questions, that could help diagnose your problem.

What browser are you using, and is it up to date?
How much RAM does your system have?

If you’re using Chrome, have you tried browsing the forum in incognito? If not, try that, as it may bring light to a potential solution.

Also, try another browser, see if that makes any difference. Such as Microsoft Edge.

• Im not saying this should be your new browser for BlenderArtists, however, im just curious if it makes a difference.

Quick disclaimer, i have no idea how to diagnose your problem, but if you answer my questions above, then i think Bartv should have a decent amount of information to go off of.

Thanks I’m using Firefox 76.01 64bit under Linux with 8gb ram I with Chromium is faster, but this problem with Firefox is only on Blenderartis,
I have an overall good performance with others web discourse based forum, such as for Blender dev talk and Artstation and very fast, even cg-society forum, and one last example imgur load all instantly and react fast.

I’m sorry but I can’t reproduce this slowness here, I seriously suspect some limiting factor on your end.

@pafurijaz is right.

Blenderartists.org is one of the slowest loading sites.
Just use an older computer (or limit your processors), then compare it to other sites.

I fired up an old dusty laptop thats close to 10 years old now, running an Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM Processor, with Windows 7.

The computer is so slow and broken, i could not even figure out how to update the browser, nor log myself into gyazo to capture a gif.

Blenderartists was very snappy and quick on that system, however the site was slightly broken due to the outdated browser. I could read everything, threads and images was loading near instantly, things were just a bit out of place.

I also did another test on my now 5 year old desktop (which is my daily driver), running an Intel Core i7 5820K, which was impressive at the time.
On this computer i could do far more accurate tests. Loading a thread took between 300-500ms normally, which is quick i’d say.
When restricting my system to only using 1 core for Google Chrome, and on top of that, rendering an image in Blender, putting the CPU at a solid 100% load, the site took between 600-900ms to load.

Given the load i put on my system, i find that <1s load time is still very reasonable.

I also ran BA on a micro computer, similar to a raspberry pi but full fleshed windows 8.1 on that system, roughly 2 years ago, and i did not notice any significant performance drops back then either.
At least not more than i’d expect from such a system, the whole computer was almost small enough to fit in my pocket.

I dont know what to conclude from this. My desktop could handle anything perfectly even under heavy load.
The oldest system had outdated software, and outdated browser, which may have contributed to the speed of the site. Perhaps it’d be slow if i managed to update everything.
And the microcomputer was 2 years ago, so maybe something has changed recently.

3 Likes

Hi, I am using both MacBook air Safari, and chrome book chrome browser. No slow issues my end.

I dont know what you have changed but is fastest now, my system is the same. But I want to wait a bit before claim that is OK