Buzz Lightyear

Buzz ought to consist of a large number of discrete parts, all parented to the bones of a relatively simple armature. Define the whole thing as a “group.”

The various “making of” pieces that Pixar has released indicate that the real Buzz model contains over 100 different materials.

Wired Magazine just published a short piece (basically lifted directly from Pixar’s own web-site) which illustrates how a single shot from Toy Story 3 was assembled. And what really stands out to me is that the next-to-last photo looks “very ordinary.” But then, move ahead to the final render. Compare the detailing on Buzz and Woody to the lesser detailing applied to the characters in the back. Notice how the light has been manipulated.

There are many layers of effects here, even though Pixar has found a way to merge them all together in just one run-through.

I think I saw something similar somewhere. It amazes me what Pixar does!

So with these Buzz parts, are you saying I shouldn’t have the mesh joined together as one big mesh, but different parts, and then have them parented to a set of bones? I’m not sure how to make a group in Blender… I’m still pretty new to this, so I just want to make sure I’m following you.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the help!