BVHacker and Blender

Does anyone know where I can get good tutoials on BVHacker that tells one how to do motion capture files into blender that incluses the fingers. There are some tuts out there that only use stick figures, which are very helpful, but not too many blender users make stick figures. I am using bvh files from Carnegie Mellon graphics.

Does anyone know where I can get good tutoials on BVHacker that tells one how to do motion capture files into blender that incluses the fingers. There are some tuts out there that only use stick figures, which are very helpful, but not too many blender users make stick figures. I am using bvh files from Carnegie Mellon graphics.

Those stickfigures are the armatures…?
So I don’t completely understand your question.

You seem to miss an important last step.

.bvh -> BVHacker (to adapt mocap file, length, animation parts, whatever) -> save new bvh -> import to Blender -> Armature with keyframes in Blender (your stickfigure)

And that’s not the end…

Now load a model, and either drive the models rig with the imported bvh armature, or weight the model directly to the imported armature.
Latter is barely working, as usually your model and the imported armature don’t match up.

I found it easier to use copy location/rotation constraints and empties along with parenting to drive the rig with the imported armature.

I don’t think the CMU libraries have Fingers as part of the capture… But anything that works for a stick figure works for anything – the model doesn’t change the rig with MoCap. The Mocap files determines the rig.

Here is an article from Richard Culver:

My advice though is to forget it. People think that mocap is a “fire and forget” way of animating, but the reality is that even the best mocap has to be cleaned and in the end, you spend almost as much time as you would have spent if you simply animated it by yourself – especially when it comes to the mocap you can get free online. Most of it is pretty messy with terribly foot jiggles.

Moderation - Merged duplicate cross-post thread from Other Software into this one. There’s no need to cross-post here.

I have come to the conclution that you are correct in doing it yourself, as it has too many little fixes.