C extensions in UPBGE (Help wanted Please)

Yep. life is not free. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Well, ouch.

My bad, everyone. Too much to do and I keep getting sidetracked. Hereā€™s a recap:

I worked out a script to link an extension against blenderā€™s own object files, the drawbacks are youā€™d still have to compile blender to get these binaries and then the extension winds up containing a whole lot of duplicate code. Not ideal.

There is a way around this issue, as I mentioned in my previous post, but after asking the UPBGE mantainers themselves I only received the answer (and I quote): ā€œsorry I donā€™t understand anything, too technicalā€.

Which is justā€¦ how can I put this? Utterly demoralizing.

At first I said to myself well, Iā€™ll wait a few days to see if anyone else on the team can offer some help in making the necessary changes to the build files; days turned to weeks, then months, still nothing.

Well, either none of the maintainers understand blenderā€™s build system or none of those that do saw my message. So Iā€™m forced to figure this one out on my own, and thereā€™s a problem with that as well: the only PC I have is very old and recompiling is ridiculously slowā€¦ and everytime I try a change to the build system, I have to recompile every last object. Sadface.

But the main problem is that recompiling renders this damn toaster unusable for the duration of the build, which means I canā€™t even work on something else done while I wait, but I still have a million other things to do!

Iā€™m just \done\ here. Iā€™ll give you folks three options, and thatā€™s how this is going to go:

1. Someone that understands the build system assists me with this issue ā€“ namely, I need symbols from libge_*.a files to be added to blender and blenderplayerā€™s dynamic tables so that shared objects can access them.

2. A brave volunteer performs the compilations for me on another computer so I donā€™t lose six work hours per attempt, a spare machine running most any Linux distro should do.

3. I save up enough money to upgrade the ole toaster and solve this without help ā€“ but full disclosure, Iā€™m broke and barely have an income to speak of. Itā€™s not impossible, but certainly an uphill battle, and likely to take a lot longer.

Obviously, number one is preferred, which is why I went to the UPBGE devs: knowing the right changes to make means I only have to recompile once. Well, that didnā€™t happen.

Now: am I being a petty mustard, publicly flogging the engine maintainers for (apparently) missing a small, tiny piece of critical knowledge in order to vent out my own economic frustration? Absolutely. You guys are champs, how do you not know this stuff? ;>

Either way, until I get some assistance, or my situation changes, I wonā€™t be making any further progress. Iā€™m sorry, folks.

Cheers.

2 Likes