C4D - Blender Working Together

A thread for C4D Users to get started with Blender and incorporating into their workflows. The direction of this thread is up to C4D users, ask whatever you want about Blender and I’m sure the Blender community can assist.

Please note, this thread is not a versus thread, this thread is for those who want to either add Blender into their C4D based workflow or those who want to transition from C4D to Blender for whatever reason.

2 Likes

What a great idea! Looking forward to hearing about your discoveries and pearls of wisdom.

1 Like

Glad you came over.

Where this thread goes is up to C4D users, what do you want to know?

I’ve been using Blender for about 8 months primarily for Eevee but I’ve dabbled in other areas of Blender but I wouldn’t call myself an expert. What I don’t know others will surely be able to answer.

But I am thoroughly enjoying the journey and happy to help or push in the right direction.

1 Like

You are light years ahead of me because I have now downloaded Blender for all of 24 hours and just starting the donut tutorial.
It is a good sign that IceCaveMan now uses Blender!

ICM has gone to ground, I hope he surfaces again. I think he was busy paying the bills.

The donut tutorial is a great place to start. It’ll get you orientated with the Blender workflow which is quite a bit different to C4D’s. Once you get your feet under the table feel and everything feels less new you’ll discover an application that is incredibly powerful and a whole lot of fun too.

I have a huge list of great Blender Channels on YT if you’re interested.

Also here’s the Blender Community site, https://blender.community/c/

BTW, On Mondays is Blender Today live broadcast of development updates and questions from the community. Lots of really good info usually.

Graphicall is where to get early builds of experimental branches and special builds of Blender like Bone Studio. It’s also the best place to get the latest Animation Nodes Addon.

Some great Addons to look at on Blendermarket.com are HardOps and Boxcutter, MeshMachine and DecalMachine and KitOps.

Free Addons such as Sverchok and Sorcar node based procedural modelling.

There’s so much to discover.

1 Like

I just wanted to say hi here. I will keep an eye on this thread and maybe contribute.

cheers

celke

1 Like

I hope you will contribute Celke. The more the merrier.

I will try… And it is worth the effort here. It was really a pity that so much valuable information got lost in the CG society, when they killed the blender thread.

cheers

celke

What are C4D Users interested in? Mograph.

Here are some excellent YT channels that’ll get you into Animation Nodes. Get the latest build from GraphicAll with the Extra Nodes.

Good Introductory course by Zach Hixson

Chris Prenninger Animation Nodes playlist

Blue Fox

There are many more tutorials out there but these are a great start.

1 Like

I would be interested in data transfer from C4D to Blender. I quickly tried to transfer some elaborate xpresso and TP animations to Blender using Alembic. But, they ended up completely distorted in Blender. I assumed it’s a problem with the Alembic import in Blender. But, I didn’t check that in detail.

cheers

celke

I have already learned a bunch from you guys in my fledgling hours!

Maybe post an image of the correct and distorted version. Perhaps it is easier to tell what the problem could be.

Hi, I also be keeping a close eye at this thread.Until recently i have been using blender 2.7 for simulations only, but now with 2.8+ new UI look and fill, and the new modelling tools, i am hoping to convert to blender and transfer all my rigging,modelling,and animation skills from c4d to blender.

1 Like

Here is a comprehensible and very well done overview about the Addon landscape in Blender.
Found it yesterday, very interesting for every Blender user - not just the new guys from Cinema4D.

1 Like

I’m getting even more excited:

You are right. I will do so in the next days. First I will do some tests on my own. As I said, it was a quick try. I will make sure that the exported file from C4D reimports into C4D correctly. I not sure I tested that. Thanks for your help.

cheers

celke

Celke, My experience with C4D’s Alembic Export has been mixed. Sometimes it does just produce a mess of geometry.

I transferred alembic files into Houdini and thought Houdini was mashing them up, it wasn’t until I reimported into C4D that I realised that C4D was the culprit.

I’ve never had an issue with static object transfer between packages only animated content at the vertex level.

Hi Infograph,

Yes, it was animation on the vertex level. At the time, I thought it was not worth a more detailed scrutiny.
The blender work flow is quiet different from C4D but all in all more consistent. The Blender team makes good progress in unifying all their different functional modules as laid out in the “Everting Nodes” project description. TP never really fit into C4D and was always a pain for caching and distributed rendering. I think, I just have to let it go with my huge library of xpresso and TP setups. Thanks and

cheers

celke

My colleague reminded me that we had our best results when we baked Xpresso via Nitrobake before exporting Alembics.

Also there seems to be a difference between creating an alembic in the OM and via the export menu for some reason.

TBH, we’re in the same boat as you waiting for the Everything Nodes project to come together and we’ll consolidate our work around Blender. Animation Nodes will be easy for anyone with experience of Xpresso to pickup in the mean time.

Cheers.

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much. Nitrobake seems to be developed exactly for this purpose. I didn’t have that on my radar.
It’s good to have this option as I move on.

Thanks again and

cheers

celke