C4D importer

(3Dre) #1

Is there someone interested in writing a C4D importer for Blender?
I can provide you with some C4D’s

(LetterRip) #2

Any potential importer/exporter creator needs format documentation

like this

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/cinema4d/cinema4d.pdf

LetterRip

(3Dre) #3

Ok, the documentation is there…

Is there someone who can do this?

I hope this is going to work. Together with a few other sollutions I can make blender the core package of our company.

(LetterRip) #4

what version of Cinema 4D do you need compatibility with (the spec I linked to is not for the latest version, so it is unclear how recent a file can be used with).

LetterRip

(3Dre) #5

I’m not realy sure about the version. I think version 8 is ok.

The program that is used at our technical department is Nemetschek Allplan.
This program is used for architectural models.
Since Maxon is owned by Nemetschek, the C4D export is very good.

(LetterRip) #6

It is pretty much garunteed that a Cinema 4D importer that would meet your needs would not be accomplished in time,

however Allplan does have 3ds and VRML exporters. and blender has importers for those formats (there may be other formats as well that are blender compatible)

it might be worth trying those and see if they meet your needs (do you need geometry, textures, animation data?)

LetterRip

(tedi) #7

probably he needs to preserve c4d hierarchies …

(3Dre) #8

I tried all exports. (dxf, vrml, 3ds)
I use the C4D export for about 3 years now, and it is the most accurate.
The problem with the 3ds export is that it exports tripples as seperate objects.
The VRML export of allplan can not be imported in Blender. Why? i dont know.

The models that come out of Allplan are pretty huge.

Today I had a project that needed to be imported.
I had to make it 15 seperate C4D’s, convert them to OBJ and then import them in Blender.
Before a little cleaning up it had an average of 4000 objects.
One of the files holds 8000 objects.

The file is 25 MB it holds 200000 faces.

if we can remove the conversion from C4D to OBJ it could save us about at least an hour.

(LetterRip) #9

File bug reports into the bug tracker or email the authors. Importers and Exporter issues can only be fixed if the authors are aware of the problems. (File a bug report for the 3ds exporter to allplan, and make a feature request to the 3ds importer writer for Blender to have an option to automatically merge triples back to a single object, and ask the VRML importer to test the problem you are having.)

I know that cambo is always doing all sorts of imports and automated cleanups of all sorts of things as well, so you might seek his advice.

It would likely be drastically easier for an importer author to fix one of those two importers than to write a C4D importer from scratch.

Regarding DXF - blenders DXF importer is in C, and was a quick one off, it should probably be disabled since it has such poor functionality.

There are opensource libraries that provide pretty decent dxf support, it would probably be fairly straight forward to use a tool that has one of the open dxf libraries already integrated to convert to one of the other languages that blenders supports fairly well (OBJ, LWO) or to write an importer that uses one of the dxf libraries as its parser.

The models that come out of Allplan are pretty huge.

Today I had a project that needed to be imported.
I had to make it 15 seperate C4D’s, convert them to OBJ and then import them in Blender.
Before a little cleaning up it had an average of 4000 objects.
One of the files holds 8000 objects.

The file is 25 MB it holds 200000 faces.

if we can remove the conversion from C4D to OBJ it could save us about at least an hour.

I’m not clear here, why the need for 15 seperate conversions to obj? Is it a limitation on the size of C4D export, or Blender OBJ import. or the format itself?

If it is a limit on Blenders importer, again, file a big report.

LetterRip

(LetterRip) #10

Ah - just realized that at 200,000 faces each that comes to 3 million faces total thus you might be running into memory issues. (What sort of ram do you have that Blender handles that many faces at once ??)

LetterRip

(3Dre) #11

about the export functionality of Allplan: We contacted them very often, they don’t see any urgency to re-evaluating their exporters.
the triangle problem with the 3ds-files is a problem from the exporter.
3ds-files imported in Lightwave show the same thing.
The thing is that only C4D’s are exported clean enough to use for visualisation. And the only quick importer is obj.
So at this time the conversion from C4D to OBJ is the only accurate way

About exporting all as 1 file:
Its to huge to handle, even for other programs.

I could put one of the files online, so you guys can have a look.

At this moment, I only need geometry and material (no textures)