CAD Like transform

Looks like there was changes done in gpu.offscreen between early beta of 2.91 and release, so at this time snap to curves, isolated edges / vertex and origin are broken.

Yup, Downloaded 2.91 and tested.
Seems to me that everything works except unlinked Isolated Edges/vertex, curves etc.

Released CAD Transform 0.91.0 today

This is a hotfix release for 2.91 compatibility
Download from your gumroadā€™s account.

6 Likes

Thanks for the update. It works like a charm now. Ran into trouble yesterday, when I wanted to try it out (first time user).

Hi Stephen, would it be possible to allow snapping with collections too? The default Blender snapping seems to work in those cases.

Should work with collection instances by enabling origin ā€œOā€ shortcut

Sorry, I meant to snap to the vertices/edges/faces of a collection.

Should be possible, maybe in future release

3 Likes

It would be great, thank you.

Sir,I have some Suggestions

It would be nice to have these snaping features while Extruding(E) and Dublicatig(Shift+D/Alt+D)

And Also is it possible to get highlighted the snappings always while we are in the viewport(while using this tool)???
What I mean is thatā€¦till now the function is likeā€¦when we Press G, R, S the snappings start to highlight, And when we click LMB, its Start the transformation
My suggestion isā€¦While we are using the toolā€¦The viewport starts to highlight the snappings when we hover mouse on it(eg- vertex, edge centre, face) ā€¦And When we press G, R, S it starts the function from where the mouse pointer is(without LMB)ā€¦It would get the same feeling as default blender transformationā€¦And alsoā€¦Since the viewport is always highlighted the snappings, We can distinguish the cad transform tool from the default easily

Sorry for my bad English And for my lakh of knowledge(if I say anything stupid), I am an 18, architecture student, started using blender for a year now, I love this tool Soo much, Waiting for more feature on this toolā€¦I have some more suggestionsšŸ˜œ, I will say it after u see this commentšŸ˜@Stephen Leger

Duplicate objects is possible, once snapped to target, use (mouse wheel / up - down arrow / D + enter amount on keyboard + enter)
Extrude would require to re-implement extrude operator and other modelling operators on top of cad transform, and is out of the scope of this addon.
You still are able to use it in extrude operation by extrude to 0 and then enable grab operation.

In order to display widgets, there must be a ā€œmodalā€ operator running, wich may prevent other operators to propely work.

1 Like

Hi Stephen,

love this addon and archipack, I havenā€™t been able to find out how to do a specific operation I need quite often. Maybe I missed it, but is it possible to move an object to a specific distance from another object. For example, 2 beams need to be apart from each other 2 meters on for example y asis, the way I would do it now would include at least 2 operations, move 1 to the other, and then move it away from the first one for 2m. Is it possible to space objects from each other by inputting a exact distance in one operation?
Thank you in advance.

Hi Stephen!

Firstly, this is a great addon. I have one annoying problem: every time I start blender, the addon icon disappears from the toolbar. But the addon itself is active (this can be seen in the settings). If you uncheck the add-on checkbox and turn it on again, the icon appears and everything works fine until the next blender restart. Of course, I saved preferences many times, it didnā€™t help. What could be causing the problem, do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Like

There are issues with shader compilation on some mac. An error in blenderā€™s 2.91 api made shader compilation by hand the only available solution, this will be fixed in 2.91.1 and 2.92.

1 Like

Great addon. Itā€™s missing Intersection snap though

2 Likes

For those who also wish the intersection snap was there, you can also use the Tiny CAD addon, that has intersections and projected intersections between edges in edit mode, as long as there are coplanar and has a few other features as well.

1 Like

Another issue I see on Mac is with using glLineWidth. The OpenGL spec only requires that a width of 1.0 is supported for smooth lines, and so ruler_width is effectively ignored.

>>> lineWidthRange = Buffer(GL_FLOAT, 2)
>>> glGetFloatv(GL_SMOOTH_LINE_WIDTH_RANGE, lineWidthRange)
>>> lineWidthRange
Buffer(GL_FLOAT, [1.0, 1.0])

I believe the workaround would be to use a geometry shader to add the vertices. If you wanted to play around with geometry shaders anyways (more advanced effects for other features), this could be a good excuse to explore that.

Somehow in 2.93a, the CAD transform buttons no longer appear on top of the Viewport. Might be a bug in 2.93a though, itā€™s still alpha, but just wanted to throw this out here in case anyone else has run into the same issue.

2 Likes

same hereā€¦ reset factory donā€™t help.

Confirmed,
for obscure reasons someone find funky to use Capitals in in blenderā€™s shortcut management dictionnary keys for addons, now using ā€œBlender addonā€ instead of ā€œblender addonā€, breaking all addons at once, what a nice move !
Yet another urgent breaking change no one can live without i guess ā€¦ :frowning:

Soo, will wait for stable release to provide a fix if still required until then.

3 Likes