CAD Like transform

Right, I am to it!
For me-absolute game changer.

Btw. Had no idea its CAD-LIKE ))

1 Like

Thanks Stephen!

This is so great so far. thanks for this and archipack.
Is this intended to work on edit mode too?

Cheers!!!
Pato.

Hi,
In facts only G/R/S are replaced by CAD Transform actions so everything else should work.
SHIFT+D / ALT+D / B / C are working out of the box, simply call the shortcuts and confirm with enter before G/R/S.
You may even use regular transform operations by using your mouse to trigger transform operation, then again g/r/s to either move rotate scale using native operators.

1 Like

Hi Patoaltaco,
At this time there is no specific support for edit mode.
Also curve snapping only work on straight lines segments (does not evaluate bezier curves)

May add support for parents only, but not for other old school things (regular blender operators provide the ability to do it).
In facts, itā€™s all about what is CAD Transform, you wonā€™t never bother with objects origin anymore at transform time.

1 Like

What I noticed Window Select is inactive when CADTranslate enabledā€¦

Window select is available using B shortcut, and also C for circle select.

1 Like

Congratulation !!
looking amazing !

Donated a bit :slight_smile:

OK, great.
Possible to type-in a distance/angle during transforming?

Yes, use keyboard and press enter to confirm, or esc to discard.
Negative values require the ā€œ-ā€ to be in first position.
Also the last value will remains visible in the ui (when you delete using backspace) as the info bar is not properly redrawn.

Thats really nice because while trying to position isohypses w/CADSnap and entering keyboard
numerals I received incorrect value displayed on dragged color axis constraint lineā€¦
Theres a problem w/BL sets incremental grid snap depending on viewpoint and distance from the object.
In other words: when you re close to transformed object - you can snap to sub-grid units but working on large scale models /Eg terrain/ the further you grab-the greater grid snap is./you start w/centimeters, then the tens, 50ties and hundreds/

Interesting 1pt solution.
Have you seen complete B.A.S.E. proposal with 1pt 2pt and 3pt snaps?
It supports edit mode for 1pt as well snap and mode changing during operations

Hi 1D_inc,

Yep iā€™m aware of your fantastic work.
Until now the ā€œTransform operatorā€ is quite limited, and more like a proof of concept.
The real value in this add-on lie in the pure python snap api, allowing pre-transform snap ā€œfromā€ in a non blocking way as transform.translate based hacks.
So viewport navigation while transform is active is possible, and more complex tools using snap too, like B.A.S.E. ones / np_station.

This solution take inspiration of mano wiiā€™s work for opengl based snap, but only for curves as setting up opengl stack for huge objects is way too slow - buffers allocation, data conversion and filling, missing vital data types in bgl like UINT.

As side note, the 3 month grant for Germano sounds like a joke for such vital feature than snap, when you compare blenderā€™s snap state to any other dcc 2d / 3d app (https://developer.blender.org/T45734)
Canā€™t wait 10 more years for bf to expose a snap api so i decided to tackle this myself.

9 Likes

Good.
We have long been fighting for decent CAD snaps.
Nice to see you referenced my teapot/monkey gif as well.

1 Like

Just got it, have a beer on me :beer: Great work!

Nope. Does not cooperate. Some random value instead.

Amazing addon, I have a small problem with scaling, it seems the pivot is stuck. Also scaling in more than 1 axis is not accurate.

Am I doing something wrong?

3 Likes

Thank you very much!
What a medicine in this crazy snap world!
Just a comment, when we have a constraint to move X, Y or Z, the edge center Snap is not working.
Beautiful job!

When an axis constraint is active, snap to edge / edge center compute the intersection of edge and axis.
Will prevent this behavior when using snap to edge center.

Looks like there is ā€œsignā€ an issue with the location.

You should at least start the action by setting a start point and a direction, then keyboard entry + enter will work.
At this time scale value is not as consistent as needed.

1 Like

Nope-after starting dragging and entering a keyed value it holds some random value and thats it for now.
I can understand it would need some amendments/corrections etc. Its first release anyway ))
BUT-nevertheless-ITS GREAT & GREATLY EXPECTED AND NEEDED TOOL.

I ll donate asa my budget gets balance, promise.