Cage mode/editing...

It makes this outer box mesh that allows you to control the original mesh your modeling.
What are the benefits?

With it on, you can see exactly where the vertices will be after the modifier. With it off (but the previous editmode button still on) you can see the overall effect of the modifier on the surface, but the individual vertices are in their unmodified position. It is the unmodified position that is controlled by quantitative transform parameters, vertex snapping and so on.

Best wishes,
Matthew

I imagine earlier today I was finally gaining some understanding what this feature was, until I read your reply - “after the modifier” and “quantitative transform parameters.” Thanks for the pointers. Can you illustrate this in a video? I am modeling a creature and I observed this [artist] toggling it with his modeling. What is the artist doing? So far, there is little information I can find in illustrating this button.

I’m afraid I have very little patience for video; I find text a much more efficient method of communication.

The modifier in the example you link to is a Subdivision Surface (subsurf), so with the button on, the individual mesh vertices are shown in their subsurfed position; with it off, they are shown before subsurfing. If you specify a precise movement or position (e.g. ‘G-Z-1’ to move 1 unit in the z-direction), it is always the position before subsurfing that is changed exactly as you specify, regardless of which way the display is set; typically the change after subsurfing is less.

I’d incline mostly to have the button on for organic modelling and off for precision hard surface work.

Best wishes,
Matthew

So far I’m fine with subsurf. I have 2 leading questions. In the subsurf modifier, the artist (around 0:10) clicks “optimal DIs” and cage mode button. For Optimal Display check-box, it is stated online that it helps visualization. As I toggle it, I see how it works. What purpose is this beneficial? As for cage mode editing, I tried it out. It is more limiting in controlling the vertices. My pivotal question though is in what situation will I need this cage mode editing when I model my creature?