"Calvin & Hobbes" Comic Book 3D Fan Art

“Calvin & Hobbes” was a comic series, drawn by Cartoonist Bill Watterson from 1985 to 1995.

The series of books were a staple in my childhood, and I loved everything about them. Calvin was a quirky, intelligent, and most of all, imaginative kid with an imaginary best friend named Hobbes.

The surprisingly clever and honest, yet playful and innocent content/dialog of the stories helped shape much of my character during my developing years.

This piece means the world to me to have been able to produce and represents a combination of some the vital skills I’ve earned through self-teaching in 3D. It also officially marks the end of my 6th month as a new 3D Artist! It took me a total of 2.5 days to complete from scratch, including all Character [Polygonal] Modeling.

I couldn’t be happier to share this project with you, and I truly hope you enjoy it as well.

The Full Project can be found at https://lawrencepompey.com/c-and-h

This Image was the reference I used for this project.

3 Likes

Very nice rendition. While i wasn’t introduced to Calvin & Hobbes while i was growing up, I still enjoy reading the stories today. While i like your render, it seems to be way harder to read the shapes than in the reference image (especially around hobbes stomach/chest area. He doesn’t separate properly from the background). To me the lineart is an important part of the style of Calvin & Hobbes. Style is your choice in the end, but i would love to see a render with the Blender Freestyle Outlines.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate the compliment, and I’m glad you’re able to enjoy the scene from a fan’s point of view as well. I initially thought of implementing a Line Art Style, because I had seen it done a number of ways during my research of relative Fan Art. However, I made the decision to create a scene which resembled almost a life-like 3D Print/Collectors Toy, which while may not resemble a comic, I felt brought the into a different medium. To me, it felt that if I used Line Art, I may as well have illustrated the art, and I want viewers to see it as a purely 3D rendition.