Camera sensor size and rendering

I am using Blender 2.62. It is possible to change the size of the camera sensor but this appears to have zero effect on what you actually see if you render the scene or play it in the BGE. So, I don’t understand this setting as it apparently has no practical effect. I can see the limits of the sensor change but this has no effect on rendering.

I want to fill a 4x3 aspect ratio scene. I can change the sensor to fit this, set the screen resolution appropriately and change the rendering from letterbox to scaled but none of this makes a blind bit of difference. No matter what I tweak I cannot get a view that is not essentially letterbox.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

I expect the only place that the sensor size is of any import is in motion tracking for calculation correct focal length, and should have nothing to do your final output. If your trying to match a plate and composite 3D into the scene then it matters. As for changing the rendering from letterbox to scaled well you render to a 4x3 aspect and thats all there is to it. I don’t know what scaled is in render settings. But in blender the aspect ratio setting in the render settings is the pixel aspect ratio not the screen aspect ratio, don’t know if that has anything to do with it anyway I hope I have helped yah somewhat.

Thanks - yes you did help. I plugged the screen resolution into the render settings and Bingo! It’s easy when you know how :o