Camera

I’m starting to love Blender Bob on YouTube - stuff that no-one else produces videos about. The most recent I watched was the lenses tutorial, which I have to admit, I have never given much attention to (add camera and build from there has been how I work). Now that I have more of an appreciation, and especially for camera matching, I went on the hunt, and failed.

Does anyone know the correct camera settings in Blender to match the Galaxy S21 Ultra camera(s)?

EDIT - for info, I’ve found the f-stop is 1.8 or 2.8 (depending on which camera). I have no idea of the sensor size. Just that info would be useful.

Sensor size for the rear camera can be found on the Samsung Galaxy S21 specifications page. Just do an in-page search for rear camera.

No sensor size is given for the front camera.

Camera matching with smartphones and zoom lenses are very hard for tracking softwares. Normally is done for movies that use fixed focal lenght, but I found some sites with phones sensors size. I don’t think they’re accuratte but t least is a starting point.

Digicamdb Size conversions
Camera FV-5 database
Phone Arena database

I also use fSpy to try to find a good focal lenght, yet never did a perfect one (like a feature film standard) using Blender, only with 3DEqualizer. fSpy software try to finds Field of View, so in Blender you’ll need to change to milimiters to convert to focal lenght (sensor size will remain default auto in this case.)

As far as I am aware, the default setting for a cell-phone camera is what we call “normal.” That’s the lens that is neither zoom nor wide-angle. (For 35mm film-compatible cameras, that is a 55mm lens.) I believe that the default Blender camera settings are also “normal.”

What would sensibly be different – and I don’t know if this is what you are now trying to re-create – is the progression of focal lengths as you move the [phone …] camera from “full zoom” to “full wide-angle.” At least when I fiddle around with my phone camera, I find myself wondering if the implemented progression is actually linear. I also don’t know if you could re-create the “digital zoom” that some phone cameras obviously appear to use … the image becoming quite grainy at the far limits.

You are partly there, but the S21 Ultra uses a four camera setup, and of course has it’s own colour grading (I know, not set in the camera).

The zoom on it, for a phone camera is immense, and I’m not sure at what point it’s digital zoom (I think it’s 30x standard and up to 100x digital, but I could be very wrong).

What I want, is the best settings for camera mapping, which in my use cases, will not be digital zoom. But for the necessary grain at render time, the sensor size is important, which I haven’t been able to figure out.