Can Blender 2.5 Render Cloth Sims at Higher than 120fps?

Blender 2.49 seems to be limited to 120fps and I’m not having much luck getting any Graphical builds running. :confused:

If anyone with a working 2.5 build could just check, I’d really appreciate it (in 2.49 it’s in with the render options)

Thanks!

not here
120 fps seems to be the maximum

why would you want it? if you want to create a slow-motion shot or bullet time etc. you can always adopt the animation or the time-curve!?

Because manipulating curves (which could be hundreds) is more work than punching in a number.

I can’t think of a reason why there has to be a limit on this setting, as with many other seemingly arbitrary limits in Blender. I mentioned it in Blendiacs other thread but while I’m at it: My favorite pet-peeve is that the color picker is clamped at a value of 1 (is that still the case in 2.5 ?). We’ve got this fantastic 32-bit-everywhere engine and then the colorpicker lets me only choose colors in the same dynamic range as an imported 8-bit image…

Slowing down or speeding up animation is just a matter of punching a number, you don’t need to change the fps at all, just change the map old/map new values.

That’s not correct. While the range is indeed restricted to [0…1], all color pickers use float for values (rounding at 3 decimals), which gives you approximately 64 times more colors than normal 8bit per channel images.

Without a good color proofing and profiling system built in, going into the higher ranges is asking for trouble.

Martin

Because the animation is created by a (cloth) physics simulation, so its speed isn’t controlled by IPO’s. If anyone knows a way of getting simulations to animate slower, I’d love to hear it!

or or the time-curve

Hmmm… time-curve, huh. Sounds interesting… research time methinks…

Right now, the best way to do that is probably to bake to disk and rename the cache files to fit your new timing.

Hopefully, cloth (and other sim effects) can respect map old/new and time IPO in the future.

Martin

Thanks for taking the time to discss this issue.

You are correct, remapping the animation is an approach that is fast and simple. Still, I wonder why there is limit to the fps setting? It seems to me like an arbitrary decision. Or, another example, why does a light’s energy cap out at 10?

If I create a shadeless material and map a texture to the color with an “add” blending mode, the values in the rendered image are pushed beyond 1.0 There is no way to do this with the color picker. If I remember correctly, an 8-bit image gets mapped to a 0.0 to 1.0 (float) range internally. That is the same range I am presented in the color picker and the reason for my comparison. So, to rephrase, the image buffer can clearly go beyond values of 1.0, why can’t the color picker?

Edit: To sum up my feelings: Blender im many ways seems to cater to the “power user”, which suits me fine. But some of the settings have limits that seem to be implemented with a kind of “no one is going to need that anyway” or “protecting the user from himself” mentality. Now, I can’t say that I would want to oversample my scene 50 times or something, but it would be nice to know I could do it and you never know.

Of course, the “power user” could always change the limits in the code, just to get this point out of the way.

That’s exactly what they are. A limit has to be set (to set the speed at which dragging on the button changes the value, for one thing) and someone picked those because they seemed to be the upper limit of the practical range.

It’s the same minimum and maximum values, not the same range. That is, setting red to 0.001 in the color picker is a perfectly valid value that you’ll never be able to get from an 8bit image.

Because without a good way to make those values visible, all you’ll get is the maximum value that your monitor can display, which is not very useful when comparing two values outside its range.

That’s what I tried to say earlier when talking about color proofing (which can be used to remap color ranges and make “non-viewable” colors visible).

Martin

A suggestion would be to have the slider operate on a set (arbitrary) range and have the ability to enter a value by hand. The slider would then readjust to the new limit. This would have the benefit of having a suggested safe range and still be able to go beyond that.

Going over 1.0 might not be needed in directly shading something, like with a texture for the diffuse channel. But it has for example its applications when dealing with specular and reflections. A fresnel term may reduce reflectivity, but a plane mapped with a value of 5.0 will still show up clealy in the reflection. If you import an HDRI you can produce this values, why not with the color picker?

Rendered Images could be tonemapped or maybe they are not even intended for direct consumption but for representing data to another application.

2.5 has the same limit on fps but now allows you to set the base fps below 1 (as low as 0.1) so you end up with a new total limit of 1200fps.

Holy schmoley N30N, that’s exactly what I was looking for! Thankyou! I tried changing this on 2.49b but it wouldn’t go below 1. Ideally I need around 280-300fps so being able to go up to 1200 would be awesome.

Now I just need cloth to be ported for 2.5…

Edited… sorry about being off-topic.

Yeah, I have to apologize too, this thread was about the fps setting. Sorry for the derailment.

sigh Still trying to figure this out.

So if I need the cloth sim to calculate as though it was at 300fps (ie 300 unique frames for 1 second of simulation), is there a way of getting the sim to output 300 unique cache files (per secon of footage)? I don’t mind renaming cache files, but am having trouble getting the sim to calculate higher than Blenders FPS setting, which caps out at 120. Framerate base just seems to change the playback speed, but not the number of frames generated.

Alternately, any news on cloth and the time curve? I can’t even seem to find the time curve in 2.53…