Can blender do this?

Hello,
I am amassed how much you can do with blender, I think much credit is due to the people developing this software.
For couple of years I thought it would be a good idea to visualise my ideas with an animation or an image. Now (finally!!) I am actually getting around trying something. The thing I’m working with is in the smallest of scales, namely surface roughness. The machines that measure roughness are going from a sensitivity in the nanometer range to the petameter range (…that’s right, measurements in atomic scale).
Ok, so I am new to this game. I am going through the video tutorials at the moment. What I has is a matrix of surface roughness values (can be a square or non-square matrix, can be a vector, I am free to measure in any way). I would like to add the roughness matrix to a surface as a first step…Is this possible in blender? The matrix can have x,y,z - coord if that’s preferable (I normally use a matrix of 1000 ’ 1000 z-values and have the point density for for x any y in a header or another file).
Second question; Do you recommend anything special (tutorial, part of the manual) to start learning to do the roughness visualisation? Is there anything in blender I should pay special attention to?
Here’s a nice picture of measured roughness
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/ceg/RealRough/Splot1.jpg

Thanks in advance
/ pusj

Here is some suggestions.

You will, at some point, have to scale your numbers into Blender units.

What I am seeing in the picture is simply a height field or displacement map.

If you can map your numbers into a greyscale image, then apply that to a dense mesh plane, you might get an approximate visualization. If you data changes over time consider mapping it to a greyscale video or a sequence of greyscale images.

Manual:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Displacement_Maps

Visual:

Atom, you are my hero…really appreciate the help.
You are right; it is simply a height field.
When I go through the tutorials I’m missing example files…it would be nice to have a fairly complicated “ready” model to play around with. Do you know where I can findthings like this? It would be super if was related to displacement maps.

Thanks again :slight_smile:
/ pusj

Be sure to use blender’s (relatively) new realitme displacement modifier. Gives you a nice preview without rendering.

i have quickly made an example file
turn layer 2 on or off for wirerendering
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/983/heightfield.blend

Attachments

File works like a charm.

Soo…if I understand this right you need one matrix for the “colour”, wheather it be greyscale or other and one matrix that contains you height data. Is this right? If yes, how do you create the colour matrix?
/ pusj

look at the materials. there is one texture applied. (named: Tex)
in the map to panel you can see that it is used for color.
in the edit buttons in the modifiers tab you can see th e"Tex" texture is youse in the
displacement modifier to displace the verticies along the z-axis.

you can however use different textures for each.
for examole you could use a blend texture with different colours along a colourband mapped to the z-axis in order to give different heigths different colours.

the best way to understand all this is to reproduce what is in that file and try to understand what each different setting does.

after all i don´t know where you want to go, so it´s best if you are able to do it for yourself.

Edit: maybe try playing with the displacement modifier and try applying that mentioned blend texture

The days are coming when Big apps will copy Blender’s function. Blender will become necessasry for all the Computer Institutes like Linux.

The clip of Colorful Slow Smoke was probably the best one I saw…beautiful.
A thing I would like to do in the near furure is a camera motion around a matrix of “surface roughness” changing the haze (difusiveness) as I pan around it…hope to get some hologram action into it…but this is I the future, I need to get better at basic modeling first.
How long time did it take you to make the coloured somke?
/ pusj

hi Pusj
Come to this thread and see a nice modeling challange
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109117
Thanks for comment.