Can Blender do what this free program does?

Go straight to 11:53 and play back at 1.5 speed.

This free program distribute a mesh along a circle and you can specify:
1: The number of duplicates.
2: The scale of the duplicates. [In this video it shows how that could be used to bring the meshes together].

Currently, as far as I know the way to do that in Blender is:
1: Take a gun and load the bullets.
2: Create an empty and move the pivot of that which you want to duplicate in a circle to the empty.
3: Apply Array to the object to be duplicated.
4: Change the type from relative offset to constant offset.
5: Think in your mind how many copies you want to duplicate because you have to set the rotation of the empty manually to match up 360/number of duplicates…[retarded…]
6: Set the array count to the number of duplicates.
7: rotate the empty to the calculated angle to match.
8: Shoot yourself in the head because of the terribleness of this workflow.

Developers are against circular array modifier… so hopefully Everything Nodes will make it easy-peasy in next couple of years. :stuck_out_tongue:

why not create a circle with those 12 verts, set it to be the parent of the other object, and set duplication to verts?
And you can use the Relations Extras for more options.
In the end, you can Object->Apply->Make Duplicates Real (or Shift+Ctrl+A)

Here is a way to get it in blender. You model one flat piece, then array it several times and finally deform it with a curve. The only drawback is that it can’t merge first and last pieces, so there’s gap. To clean it up you need to aply modifier and then remove doubles and continue from there.
column.blend (525.6 KB)

Thank you @cdog, that’s innovative !
But I believe even you see my point that this dead 3D program can do what blender refuses to do simply due to the developer’s stand.

Just downloaded this program yesterday, SUPER EASY to use, but then again, if you can use Blender, EVERYTHING is easy. ha ha ha

Thank you.

I’d use the Use Spin tool in Edit Mode to duplicate part of a cylindrical shape to a cylinder. Then Remove Doubles after the Spin operation. Spin is also available as a modifier named Screw. Alternatively — which often works better — you can use the Array modifier in radial mode to model with radial symmetry, and check Merge and First Last to make the result seamless.

afbb0d5511df47de3acfadea93cd78fc

looks straightforward to me

1. Add circle curve
  2. Choose source mesh
  3. add array modifier
  4. add curve modifier and choose the circle
  5. go back to array
  6. set to fix count
  7. set count and offset
  8. scale mesh till it closes the gap and merges vertices (use shift for fine scaling)
  9. profit !!!

you can then edit it as it is shown in the video. Looks to me as easy as the video.

yes indeed if you spend the time to learn Blender everything becomes super easy. Who would have guessed eh ?

Stupid Blender can’t read my mind :frowning:

kilon, you must living in an alternate universe, my 2.79b can’t do this.

yes in my alternative universe 2.79b can do this as well

my blender has been able to do this , if I am not mistaken , since version 2.5 more than 10 years ago. The array modifier was inteoduced back in 2.42 released in summer of 2006 , 13 years ago

https://archive.blender.org/wiki/index.php/Template:Release_Notes/2.42/Mesh/Editing/

I tried to duplicate what you are doing but the normal became flipped when I apply the curve modifier, how come ?

I have to scale the circle bigger or smaller just to fix this, this is just not the way to do it.

The old-fashioned array + curve modifier does the job.
ezgif-2-77f95108e7be

1 Like

Nothing special, I rotate the mesh in edit mode to face the desired direction , I also apply rotate and scale.

Rotating the circle wont help you.

dont worry about the merge you just place the vertexes on top of each other while scaling the mesh and you can then use remove doubles, which is the fastest way to merge vertices anyway.

it’s always prundent to use remove doubles in any case you do any kind of modeling to avoid weird problems because of bad topology.

I think I will just use the laborious way :frowning: Thanks anyway Kilon.

1 Like

Another way (modular) is to start with the Cylinder.
Divided by… ups… :smirk:… With the number of Vertices set to number of modules used in circular array multiplied by the number of Module’s subdivisions.

Delete whatever extras, so the Module’s base is the only thing left.
Put detail on that module (or do it later). == “ModuleFromCylinder”

Create an Empty at the center of an original cylinder which becomes/is the center of the modular array rotated by the value of single module angle (360°/M) == “PivotCenter”

Finally, Array it (Object Offset) around its pivot … Array to create column… Array to create colonnade.blend (117.4 KB)
…
colonnade

cab you change the title - easier to find thread for this !

happy bl