Can Blender export to vector shapes for use in Draw programs?

I hope the answer is yes, since Blender is vastly more capable at creating shapes than any 2-D draw program…

I’d hope to do something like create my shape(s) then export them to eps, ai, svg…any of the formats a draw program can open and work with. I want to do this to get those shapes into 2D space which is better for design, UI/UX wireframes and illustration.

Thank you for any clues!

ray

yes, there is a python addon that outputs freestyle strokes to svg.

Blender can only export UV layouts in the standard release. liero’s addon doesn’t export curves and shapes per se but just the screen image as SVG but that might work for you.

Only if ‘vastly’ means ‘not’. Blender’s vector drawing tools are rudimentary compared to any vector drawing program. There is the option to import SVG into Blender. Exporting vector drawing from Blender…:no:

What would you say to someone who said that Blender’s word processing was better than any other program and they really hoped to do all their writing in Blender from now on… (actually Blender has a very good text editor so that’s not even a fair comparison).

I’m very experienced with 2-D draw programs (Illustrator, Freehand, Inkscape, Sketch and iDraw as examples). In one sense, you are right in that they can create lots of shapes, but there are limitations, and it is here where Blender, Lightwave, et al, are superior.

I wouldn’t liken my comparison to blender vs a word processor; it’s not even in the same realm of work in the way that a 2D draw tool is like a 3D package.

Just an opinion.

hahaha, yeah, I got some flack for trying that at one point :wink:

I think the best part of the curve sin Blender is that they feel good and are easy to manipulate in comparison to the way some applications work. I prefer Blender in some sense because of the ability to enter Edit mode, and then all the curve nodes and handles are there to be seen, not hidden until you click somewhere to affect them.

I have done a lot of work in the past with using curves in Ortho camera top view to trace a design and then render to shadeless materials, and then auto trace in Illustrator or Inkscape depending on what machine I am on. I would offer though that Inkscape has better node editing, more fluid at least.

tracing…that’s a good idea…I have a few apps that do that nicely.

thank you!

In fact I would like to amend my former post to say that 2D vector illustration programs are very bad at doing perspective projections and Blender of course is extremely good in this department so it would be great if Liero and Atom’s script were more incorporated into Blender, and the Freestyle to SVG export were more straightforward.
I don’t disagree at all that it would be very useful to have a render to SVG option, my last post was only about the curve editing comparison.

Agreed, Liero and Atom’s work is very good in this area

I only use Inkscape for vector drawing and it is just an awful piece of software. It takes for ever to load and eats a terrible amount of memory. It crashes on me all the time. Its selection is extremely finicky, I find it very hard to cycle through selections. If I change the color of a line with an arrow head, I have to apply a filter to change the head to the color of the line.

That being said, Blender is not really alternative, because as you say, it just doesn’t have the feature you need. But I wish it did…

Inkscape was sitting next to me reading your post and she was reduced to hysterical blubbering afterwards. There, there, Sweetie, he didn’t mean it…

Not debating that you have a hard time with Inkscape.

Forever to load … can you say how long? On my system it takes 12 sec for the first time, and 3 sec for each time after that. One of the problems that unfortunately has yet to be resolved is that Inkscape attempts to load every single font in your fonts folder. If you have a very large number of fonts, especially ones that she doesn’t care for, this can really bog down startup. Nothing you can do about it though, because people just can’t live without their fonts. Inkscape doesn’t have Blender’s smoother as you need it font handling.

Eats a terrible amount of memory… A little over 100MB with the default empty startup… not too bad for a modern application (little less than Blender). The undo stack is what eats up a lot of memory though, especially if you start doing raster operations (filters). Want to use less memory? Live dangerously and lower your undo levels.

About the arrowhead color thing, you need to go into preferences/behavior/markers and pick one or all of the three options there, which will always color it to match with the option of updating to match or not…

Not wanting to turn this into an Inkscape thread! Head over to the Inkscape forum for more tips and tricks on how to use Inkscape efficiently, for example selection problems, frequent crashes etc.

The posts in this thread are a great reminder that it’s always a great idea to have more than one app in your toolkit for getting a certain kind of thing done.

Ideally, you can “stay in the tool” 100% of the time, but what if that software simply can’t do one particular bit?

I have used Inkscape for real work and I found it to be worthy, but I’ve also experienced the snarkyness PhysicsGuy described and I think lately, for me, it is because OS X support is lagging behind that for Linux and Win…I’m a Mac user.

Blender continues to impress me for, open source or not, the devs exemplify how a software application can grow and mature and evolve into something amazing and effective and that it need not become a blubber-packed bugfest as some, er, commercial titles have been known to do.

I have CS6 loaded on my machine, but my main tools are: Pixelmator, Sketch 3, LibreOffice, and Blender, for creating and manipulating…text, design, imagery. These don’t replace CS6 in the app for app sense, but between these 4 I can get done what I need to do without being trapped into paying a monthly fee.