can blender foundation help in development of gimp?

ok this is a fairly strange thought. can blender foundation help in development of gimp?

for me gimp’s development is very slow. of course i am saying this because blender’s development is fast as… eh… speeding bullet? comparing both the project is although not a correct in many ways, but i sometimes feel that the development was as at as blender or at least could match up photoshop. :eek:

some people way think the development pace is ok, thats everyone’s way of thinking. i know gimp is fairly feature rich (i think i know only 10% of it):stuck_out_tongue:

i have heard that blender foundation is the richest OSS foundation (i dont know where and i dont know whether it is turi or not), but maybe they can help adding a feature or two which may help blender in return? this sounds strange cause that same time and money could be used to develop a blender feature. but i think gimp needs a push and blender can help

best case scenario :evilgrin: (just an example) - a feature develop by blender foundation in gimp which which will let blender mesh to be imported (with full layers), paint them and hence seam less paint.

or maybe blender can gobble up gimp’s feature (well it is open source) and… nah too stupid :spin:

yeah lets drop sintel for helping out on gimp, sounds like a fair deal :slight_smile:

First off, a retarded request, the people working on Blender will work on whatever they want to, not what you want them to. If it worked that way i’d have everyone helping out with ReactOS by now.

Second, it’s probably good leadership. The Blender Foundation has it and is a very well maintained OSS project.

Well… Right now may not be the time…
But i think it would be a good idea to make them help each other out in the future…
Like if Blender and Gimp come together and make you a possibility to click one button to send a picture to Gimp, and gimp had a button to instantly send the picture edited back to blender…

Yes i like that idea :).

It would seem to me the Blender foundation helping with GIMP development would dilute the financial resources and developer availability that they use for the development of Blender.

Blender has enough financial constraint as is and Letterrip said that the foundation can’t do everything it envisioned for 2.5 at once because of not enough developers, what can they spare to help with GIMP?

Perhaps when blender is finished. (joke).

This feature is already available in Blender and can work with Photoshop, Gimp, Painter, or even Paint.

Also the GIMP is not aiming to become another photoshop, even the developers state this.

I honestly think that GIMP could not offer anything to Blender as the two programs are vastly different, plus Blender already has a host of 2D imaging capabilities, making the whole issue completely irrelevant.

Also, off-topic but I think that the GIMP developers don’t do themselves any favours, from my understanding they completely rejected the work done to CinePaint, which had major development from large real-world production studios, if they had accepted the code improvements and features perhaps it would be a different story, but they didn’t and were, as some people say, rather rude in rejecting the work.

There is a possibility of GEGL integration in Blender some time down the road, other than that there isn’t likely to be much cross over.

[quote]
Also, off-topic but I think that the GIMP developers don’t do themselves any favours, from my understanding they completely rejected the work done to CinePaint, which had major development from large real-world production studios, if they had accepted the code improvements and features perhaps it would be a different story, but they didn’t and were, as some people say, rather rude in rejecting the work.[/qoute]

You have your history confused.

I would love to see GIMP taken over and run like Blender (maybe even become a second project managed by the Blender foundation).

Before people start throwing spitballs at me and say that I don’t know what I’m talking about, let me follow up. I’m a professional game developer and have been in the game industry for almost 15 years. Blender is starting to get taken seriously and many modelers, animators and designers are playing with it. At large studios, it’s going to take years before it gets used, but small studios, especially indie teams are taking it very seriously (when you couple it with Unity and Ogre, it really shines). On the flip side, almost every single artist / content creator uses Photoshop (except for the 3 who use Painter).

GIMP is considered unusable for serious work by most content creators (not because it isn’t feature rich, but because it feels like the UI was designed by programmers and it’s a pain to use). The only people I’ve ever seen actually use GIMP were a few programmers who couldn’t justify Photoshop. The Blender Foundation has a proven track record of fixing that exact problem. GIMP easily has 1000x the possible users as Blender as many, many people would us it, especially those currently using pirated copies of Photoshop (which is an absolutely huge number - from students to house wifes to graphic designers to amateur photographers to wanna-be game developers - nearly EVERYONE uses Photoshop whether it’s legal or not).

I’m not sure how people think that GIMP couldn’t be a great compliment to Blender, even a necessity. If you work with textures in any serious way or edit image sequences, you don’t really have that many options. If you’re doing serious work with Blender, then you’re going to be working with many, many images. The OSS options you have are difficult to use and the other options are expensive or illegal. Yes, I’ve seen that it can be used (it’s been generally used to work on the Open Movie projects, no?) , but it’s not really being used by most of the people who should be using it.

My gut feeling is that the next big update to GIMP will be a make-it or brake-it release for that project. If GIMP doesn’t deliver a usable UI for people who do content creation, it will begin a slow death. If that happens, a branch should be created and the problems fixed by another party. Personally, I would prefer that party to be related to the Blender Foundation so that a real synergy and unified design approach can be achieved.

• nXain

woah! glad to see that many people share the same thought as mine. although blender foundation is always on a move, after completing the movie they will start working on next project (maybe another game project) or something like that. so honestly it was kind of wishful thinking on my part.

but its not impossible right? some light integration could be done. like the idea by freemind, even my idea :slight_smile:

it was not a request let alone retarded request. just a thought. agree with rest of your post but if blender foundation was ready to to work with crystal space, such a limited stuff can be done with gimp too right?

My gut feeling is that the next big update to GIMP will be a make-it or brake-it release for that project. If GIMP doesn’t deliver a usable UI for people who do content creation, it will begin a slow death. If that happens, a branch should be created and the problems fixed by another party. Personally, I would prefer that party to be related to the Blender Foundation so that a real synergy and unified design approach can be achieved.

How is Gimp’s interface not usable? Further, there are no equally good or better free replacements for Gimp, so it’s users (including myself) aren’t worried about it. I want Photoshop, but since I don’t have it (I have Elements 2…), I just have to live with Gimp, which is do-able.

All I really want is native xcf support in Blender. And I really think the Blender devs should stick around with Blender and the Gimp devs can handle what they’ve got.

Did you know that gimp 2.8 will have an optional single-window UI? Not to mention plenty of other UI tweaks.

You can find some pictures looking through posts by a dev on this blog: http://www.chromecode.com/
Edit: some more pictures here: http://meetthegimp.org/

A couple other notes:

1. The main reason that everyone uses Photoshop and not Gimp is because that’s what they’ve always used. They’re comfortable with it, and that’s OK.
  2. If you have suggestions for Gimp, the right place to post them is not on a Blender forum. You should talk to Gimp developers and provide constructive criticism. (As in, don’t just tell them that Photoshop has more users so Gimp is bad, come up with UI proposals and create mockups. Be helpful.)
  3. The BF isn’t going to take over Gimp development. So anyone who thinks it’s a bad idea anyway needn’t worry. :slight_smile:

Everything I’ve been reading recently tells me the blender foundation is stretched to it’s limits at the moment. I’m not going to look for the references, but I thought I just read blender can’t afford a booth at the most important trade show for their industry - siggraph.

I do use gimp, yes, because it is affordable. Do I like the UI? Worst I have ever used… The folks behind gimp should study blender’s UI - collapsible and scalable panels (like blender 2.5) is far easier to use than separate windows like gimp uses.

I honestly think blender foundation should remain focused on what they are good at and not get involved in any other projects outside of what they do. I really don’t know that I would even like the idea of the blender foundation becoming the adobe or autodesk of the open source world…

Randy

What’s confused about that? The patches contributed to gimp that went on to become Cinepaint were rejected unanimously by gimp developers in favor of the then non-existing gegl. Ten years later, the gimp still doesn’t have the functionality that those patches provided making the all but abandoned Cinepaint more functional than gimp.

N.I.H. syndrome at its finest.

Yep, that’s the way it works.

Judging by the fact the gimp is still going strong while cinepaint hasn’t has an update in over two years I’d say they made the right choice.

Blender is starting to get taken seriously and many modelers, animators and designers are playing with it. At large studios, it’s going to take years before it gets used, but small studios, especially indie teams are taking it very seriously (when you couple it with Unity and Ogre, it really shines). On the flip side, almost every single artist / content creator uses Photoshop (except for the 3 who use Painter).
But then again, just a couple of years ago Blender was also seen as “just a hobby tool”, “not fit for serious work”, “all the pro artists use X app”, “crap UI” and so on. And look at where Blender is today. I see GIMP going the same way only lagging a few years behind.

i think the title of the thread is a bit misleading. what i wanted to say that blender foundation could push the development of gimp via some features which in turn benefit blender too. like layered texture movement from gimp to blender and vice-versa, 3d body paint etc.

combining both foundations or blender foundation developing gimp will be very wasteful and will hurt both the projects :confused:. both sides developer should do what they can do best.

IMHO gimp is not getting the push or shall i say motivation to get a good development pace. BF could do that… or a good competition between gimp and any other OSS program similar to gimp.

Hehe, combining Blender and Gimp. Blimp.