can blender foundation help in development of gimp?

LOL it doesn’t sound that bad :smiley:

but again its not about combining both the projects

From another thread:

why not implement gimp in blender image & UVW editor ? :slight_smile:

hehe …

Uargh :eek: :eek: :eek:

yeah, those two editor would probably need to be separated into different spaces in such a case.

There are two ideas I’d like to address:

First, the idea of merging GIMP in Blender is just plain bad. It creates a higher level of complexity without offering any real advantage other than using Blender’s core systems. If GIMP was to be branched by the Blender Foundation, it should be for a standalone 2D editor that greatly improves the 2D pipeline and makes the overall user experience much better. It should be a great application on it’s own (especially as most users wouldn’t be using Blender!)

Secondly, if Blender were to branch GIMP, it would probably not have to expend it’s current resources. I am sure that support would be forth coming from parties that do not have a huge interest in 3D development, but would love to support a better version of GIMP (more developers, more money, etc). This includes OEMs, Linux Distros, media studios and government agencies (like NASA…) - groups that don’t want to keep sending a ton of money to Adobe. The Blender Foundation’s ability to offer a complete, robust, well-working 2D-3D pipeline would open many new doors (nothing creates success like success). I’ve seen this happen often and I have a pretty good idea of who would be interested in a vastly improved GIMP.

Of course much hinges on the new version of GIMP with the improved UI. Given the current velocity of news, I’m not really optimistic about this (does anyone know why we should be optimistic?) I think we’re also very likely to see a good, free image- editor released by Google at some point, probably with Chrome OS.

• nXain

The Gimp peopleare doing fine on their own, they obviously know where they stand and are listening to users- there is an entire blog dedicated to user feedback and mockups. It’s a nice program with a bad reputation as it stands, sort of like Blender2.49 :wink: They know that the 2.8 release will be important to them, so they are putting a lot of thought into it atm. I think it will be an awesome tool when released.

@nXain i totally agree with you. but you know, even if the version 2.8 is out, there wont be huge changes. actually even with 3.0, the changes wont be huge. and the amount of time it takes to come out with that version will be huge.
so yeah i also wish a new editor, something powerful and yet photoshopish/gimpish looking and from a giant like google will be cool

Integrating the brush system from Mypaint into the UV Editor/ painting tools would be way better in my opinion, we already have most of the things we need in Blender anyway, the brush system coupled with layer management would be more than enough.

@Daniel: I like the idea to use Gimp Plugins for Blender Compositor Nodes. Gimp offers some fairly advanced and sophisticated plugins I’d like to use in Blender noodles…

@nXain i totally agree with you. but you know, even if the version 2.8 is out, there wont be huge changes. actually even with 3.0, the changes wont be huge. and the amount of time it takes to come out with that version will be huge.
Before we jump to conclusions, it’s best if we take a look at what’s planned for 2.8 http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/gimp-2-8-features-preview-april-2010.html

*Single-window UI
*Layer groups
*Extended paint dynamics
(and of course more)

These three things all address some of the more prominent issues people have with GIMP. While they won’t solve all problems they are a step in the right direction. 3.0 (or 2.10 as the next GIMP release might be called) is said to be focused on getting GEGL and higher bit depths properly working in GIMP. Again it’s one of those main show-stoppers people appear to have with the program.

Huge or not huge, it’s up to everyone’s personal opinion, but let’s offer some facts and allow people to create their own opinions :slight_smile:

What’s confused about that? The patches contributed to gimp that went on to become Cinepaint were rejected unanimously by gimp developers in favor of the then non-existing gegl. Ten years later, the gimp still doesn’t have the functionality that those patches provided making the all but abandoned Cinepaint more functional than gimp.

Cinepaint was a separate codebase from the work done by the studio artists. Cinepaint was a GIMP fork about 4 or 6 years after those patches, pretty sure those patches were not used at all by Robin Rowe. It is true that there were patches rejected by the GIMP, it is true that Robin started Cinepaint as an independent project and part of his stated reasoning for doing it independently was that historical patch rejection. However afaik the rest of your narrative is incorrect.

LetterRip

delete duplicate

of course it was my personal opinion, it was a shocker for me when it was announced that 2.8 which will make way for 3.0 and single UI will be out this year end and even this is not final. 3.0 will be fore exciting but i cant even dream the release date.

dont get me wrong, gimp is a great program and hats off to developers for such a great program.

Full support between blender and gimp is more important than implementing these softwares.

wouldn’t it be cool to have Gimp as a plug-in to blender, so instead of using Blenders Default texture painter for UV wrappings, gimp was in there and you are to do whatever you can in Gimp but in Blender and it changes in real time, it would be a little easier to make textures then. :smiley:

long time ago I gave up on Gimp.

There is just no way around Illustrator or Photoshop
when you work in 3D and Print.

that would be LEGENDARY

yeah… sad but true. even the quality difference is huge.

I’d just like to reiterate that to really help Gimp, saying it’s bad won’t help. (This is true for any software.) Try to come up with an actual example of a missing tool, confusing UI, etc. Then come up with a good way to solve this problem. Then tell someone who is actually a Gimp developer. (As in, someone who is probably not on this forum.)

Thanks,
-Nicholas