Can Displacement be applied to the actual geometry of the mesh?

As the title says; is there a way for Displacement to actually change the mesh?

I ask because Octane Render doesn’t support displacement, so in order to use the function I’d have to apply it to the geometry…

yes - use the displace modifier.

Oh OK.

I also asked because I just watched this Andrew Price video and he says @ 22:44-23:04 that the displace modifier no longer actually changes the mesh:

you have to apply it.

Yes, but I would assume that Andrew Price’s aware of that, wouldn’t you? :slight_smile:

It’s strange that he says Blender did apply the changes to the mesh up until version 2.49.

But I’ll give it a try. Guess I should’ve done so before, just didn’t think it would make sense because of the video…

I don’t know what he’s on about.

The displacement modifier changes the meshes geometry using a texture. It behaves the same for all versions of blender that have this modifier including blender 2.4x, 2.5x and 2.6x

The displace option in the texture influence panel changes the meshes geometry but only at render time

Cool, I’m really glad to hear that!

The displace modifier works fine like Richard mentioned but maybe the confusion is about generating displacement directly from Cycles. That feature is experimental (you have to select the experimental features in the blender settings AND enable displacement (set it to real or both) in the displacement panel of the mesh options.

That’s all a bit cumbersome, so it might be better to stick to a displacement modifier (which will work in cycles and in blender internal)

What AP is saying is that the displacement works with the modifier. It’s a modifier so the changes are not applied until you hit the “apply” button.