Can I achieve a better deformation of the mesh?

Hi everyone, I created this character to use for a videogame, but I have these strange deformations at the pelvis and the shoulder. I tried to weight paint manually but I can’t understand how to do it properly.
Can someone help me to figure it out?

1. Reconsider bone placement. Your arm looks like it’s placed too high (in the T pose).

2. Autoweights are your friend, use them whenever you can. If you can’t use them, consider making a quick cage to represent your mesh, autoweight it, then data transfer weights (nearest face interpolated) back onto your mesh.

3. If you really want to know what operation to improve that shoulder, without using autoweights, you want weight paint’s “smooth” operation, affecting all groups, with a postiive expand/contract, to make the weights at the crease more diffuse.

1 Like

above of all thank you for your reply :slight_smile: .
Anyway:

1. My character is in A pose, sorry I didn’t specify it

2. Until now I use auto weight selecting all the character and the bones, is there any other way?

3. I don’t know how to weight paint “smoothly” :confused:

1. If in A pose, then move the head of the upper arm closer to the body.

2. Okay, you mentioned weight painting manually. I thought that was instead of autoweights.

3. Not weight paint smoothly, “smooth” operation. Use your searchbar.

1 Like
  1. Yeah sorry, I know but I’m trying to see how the mesh warps while I move the bones. Maybe I’m not enough clear so I left here 2 images:
    This is the normal pose

This is how the mesh is when I move the bone of the upper arm:

1. no problem, my bad :slight_smile:

2. So I need to go in weight paint mode and search the “smooth” operation? Sorry if I don’t understand, but I don’t know what we are talking about

Thank you for your time and your help

Well, one of the things to keep in mind is that autoweights make sharper weights, the closer that the bone lies to the surface. So that fact that your upper arm +clavicle bones are so near the surface at the shoulder makes it so that you get creases.

Yes, search for “smooth” while in weight paint mode. (Not sure why you’re asking when you could just try that…) There’s a menu operation as well, which later versions will tell you about when you use search, but IMO, searchbar is quicker than menu operations-- menu is just for discoverability.

1 Like

I tried to use the smooth operation but I can’t achieve a good result.
The deformation of clavicle+upper arm remains too edgy and everything get worse when I try to raise his arm.
Perhaps I’m facing this in the wrong way or I’m missing something that I don’t know.

P.S. sorry If I took so much time to reply you but I’m working on this project between my job and a online course

apart from a nice weighting
you can still try these two things.
And the shoulder is the worst region ,by the way

Be carefully with the values not to high!Sometimes a weightmap is helpful, like open Geo Mouthregion,Eyeregion …

1 Like

Sorry, but what is a weightmap?

I think the issue here is that you are simply assuming the automatic weighting that Blender does for you should give perfect deformations. It doesn’t; it will always require cleanup and finessing by manual weight painting.

This is a misconception I see often where people try to improve the results of the automatic weighting instead of seeing it as the starting point for manual weight painting. All automatic weighing does is that it allows you to hit the ground running. With that said it often gives more issues then it solves.

It surprises me that bandages recommends you to depend on automatic weighing. I really disagree with that advice. No offense bandages. :slight_smile:

So the answer to your question imo is two fold. The first one is to move your bones a little bit away from the surface as bandages suggested. This is not just because of the result it has on auto weighting, it actually leads to smoother results. The same is true for the spine. In reality it lies on the surface of the back but you will see that in most rigs its moved more towards the center of the body for smoother deformation.

The second half of that answer is that its time for you to learn proper weight painting. See it as a small investment. While you can’t solve 100% of all deformation issues with weight painting I’d say 80% can be solved by proper weight painting alone.

If you have a subscription to the blender cloud there is an excellent tutorial for weightpainting on it: https://cloud.blender.org/training/weight-painting/

If not I can recommend these since they are free (and very good): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPYs3pZEzPY

Watch them in order (whichever of the two you have access to).

I really see weight painting as an essential skill that you can’t skip. Just bite the bullet, you will be happy you did.

PS
I wouldn’t bother with “preserve volume” unless you really understand what it does. Corrective smooth is useful but only as the icing on the cake. You shouldn’t depend on it to “solve” bad weightpainting. Get the deformation without corrective smooth as good as possible and only then use corrective smooth selectively. So only in area’s where its needed; not globally.

1 Like

Thank you for your answear :smiley: I will watch the videos on blender cloud :slight_smile:
What you suggest me is what I wanted: learn how to proper weight paint.
I hope to be able to achieve a better result after watching these videos, I will let you know about that :slight_smile:

WOW! It’s the old “you learn something new every day” !

I’ve seen “Data Transfer” in menus and such - but never checked into it. I will now!

Thanks,
Cal

Hi! :grinning: The method of accomplishing this depends on the software you use, but the underlying theory is the same for all packages. Each bone affects each vertex, using a weight from 0 to 1. When the weight is at 0, the vertex is unaffected by the bone. When the weight is at 1, the bone completely controls the motion of the vertex, and the vertex is said to be fully affected. Weights in the middle of the range allow multiple bones to affect a vertex.

Best Regards, Move out cleaning Fargo ND

bandages,

Got a minute? Ignore otherwise.

Trying to understand Data Transfer.

I added two UV spheres.
I made a vertex group on Sphere1.
I selected Sphere2 and…

• tried to use menu based Data Transfer (yes, shift-selected Sphere1)
  • tried to use modifier based Data Transfer (yes, chose Sphere1 as Source)
    By “tried to use” I mean Banged my head on the desk until I gave up.
    Expected Sphere2 to have a matching vertex group as Shere1.
    Oh well, still plenty of bandages (pardon the pun) and beer. Will understand eventually.
    Thanks,
    Cal

To use a data transfer modifier:

1. Create the modifier on destination mesh.

2. Set the target for “source” field of modifier.

3. Enable “vertex data”.

4. Click on “vertex groups” to enable transfer of vertex groups.

5. Set mapping (nearest face interpolated is usually your best bet, but use your judgment.)

6. Click on “generate data layers” button on the modifier to create matching vertex group names on your destination mesh.

7. Optionally, apply the data transfer.

8. Optionally, run a “clean” operation on all verts of destination mesh in weight paint. On the operator panel, set it to affect all groups.

Dang. Just closed without saving. I think this is the step I missed.

We’ll see, tomorrow.

Otherwise, thanks again.

Hmmm…

Still no luck.

The destination sphere DOES get a matching item in the Vertex Group list, but when I go to edit mode and click the Vertex Group “Select” button there are no vertexes assigned /displayed.

Oh well, I’ll keep trying. Thanks.