Can i get rid of these shadows without splitting edges?

i’m working on 2.79. i know that one would usually get rid of these angular shadows by splitting edges, but i don’t want that sharp look, i want a smooth look. is there a way to do this?

You might not need extra vertices around the eye contour, but there seems to be something wrong with the topology. Can you post an image where the topology can be seen?

1 Like

how would i do that, go into edit mode?

check the normals, also check if you ever have overlapping vertices, or inner faces… if it still doesn’t work, share the mesh: https://pasteall.org/blend/

everything you suggested is fine. the way to get rid of those shadows is to split edges, i know this because i make custom content for the sims 4, and that’s how we do it. but i tried doing that with this, and it looked weird. i want the smooth look, not the sharp look splitting edges gives, but i want to get rid of the shadows. do you want me to post a picture of what it looks like when i split edges?

I personally prefer not to use Edge Split modifier, but maybe share your file so that we can take a look (only the head part)

1 Like

Yes, showing how it looks in edit mode would be easiest. Disable all subdiv modifiers and hide the eyes itself, as the problem might be below them.

all modifiers have been applied already.

Hey, as far as I understand the problem is the flow of the geometry. Ideally you would want something like the green where the geometry around the “hole” follows it’s form.
Maybe you could try selecting the edges on blue and add a bevel to it to limit the artifacts. It could work as an easy fix if the object won’t be deformed.

2 Likes

yup, that’s a topology problem for sure. Regisf is on the money, all I’d add is you could also probably fix it by merging some vertices, or retopologizing altogether. It looks like you used a boolean to make the eye holes right? this is why booleans are popular and great for hard surface modeling, but not so good for organics.

2 Likes

you must avoid triangles like these ones, it will create artefacts:

That 's why I recommended you the topology I made, because it gives a good topology flow, and you can easily change it or add new edge loops, etc…

Also, do you have a reason for applying the Subdivision Surface? If you don’t have any reason (like exporting to a game engine), keep it and don’t apply it, it will alson make changes easier

You should check this channel. It has a lot of good videos on cleaning up the geometry after applying boolean. :slight_smile:

1 Like

how do i retopologize?

i actually made this using a base, i didn’t create the head from scratch, just edited it. it was really low poly, so i could work with it.

i dunno why i apply the sub surface, i think i have it in my mind that, if i don’t, i’ll mess the whole thing up. i’m a perfectionist, and does more harm than good. when should i apply it?

note that i’m between beginner and intermediate in blender. there are many tools i don’t know how to use, and many terms i’m not familiar with. this is my first time doing something more advanced than creating lower poly objects for the sims 4, and i think i’ve only been using this for two years. i also have a problem with “sticking to my guns,” so this is my first time branching out and using tools i avoided before.

Unless you absolutely need to, you shouldn’t. Defeats the whole purpose and usefulness of procedural modeling if you do.

so even rendering an animation, you shouldn’t apply it?

Felix is correct, the whole point of modifiers is to keep things procedural (dynamic).
By applying the Subdivision Surface modifier, you’ve lost the ability to increase or decrease its subdivisons.
And ontop of that, your base mesh has become more complicated to deal with while in edit mode.

PS. Modifiers work fine while rendering an animation. :wink:

The rendering engine essentially applies it during rendering a frame, no problem.

If you are exporting a model for a game, that’s a different story. Either you set the exporter to apply the modifier upon export or you apply it before hand.

1 Like

okay, i tried this, and all it did was make the mesh faceted like if you don’t select smooth shading. otherwise, it did absolutely nothing.

Was the edge you beveled already marked sharp? If so then blenders bevel operator/tool tried to maintain that metadata on the newly created edges.

1 Like