Can I make a reasonable-looking curly hair?

First of all, I wish to express my gratitude to all Blender developers for their work on such a great opensource program. You people are fantastic!

Then I’ve got a question. I have a wip image here and I need to know if I can make real curly looking for her. I had no luck at finding any tutorials for it. And I’m not afraid of complicated work if it’s possible.

I’ve been using Blender for about half a year, so I don’t know many techniques yet.

No, sorry. There’s not a lot–Well, actually there is something. You can actually model, uv map and texture each chunk, but I’ve never tried that and it isn’t really animateable anyway.

But if you’re looking for a way of doing it with the particle system, it’s dead-ended there, too.

If you have some time on your hands, I’d wait until the particle re-write for hair and stuff (frickin sweet), but that might be too long for you.

Thanks for the help, but I’m not trying to animate anything. I was thinking of particle systems, but was unable to bend them in any way to get the curls. All I could do was to make them fall down with -z force.

I guess I will need to wait for the particle rewrite.

Oh, you can make them bend. It just takes a lot of effort.

:stuck_out_tongue: I take it you never bothered searching.

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Static_Particles_(Hair)#Let.27s_make_hair_with_hairguides

Actually I searched, but didn’t find anything. Thanks a million, pal!

Ehh, on after-thought, sorry if I sounded a bit jerky about the searching thing. I get annoyed easily with people who don’t check before asking, so I can have a tendency to be a butt about that stuff. Once again, apologies.

Also, the Mediawiki is like a tiny blender bible. :stuck_out_tongue: With links everywhere. If you’re stuck for tutelage, check out the Summer of Documentation tutorials on the site. They’re all like small books about aspects of blender in themselves, great stuff.

Thanks again for your help.

Here is what I have done yet.